Hose routing with one tank and dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

briefer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to use sidemount in recreational diving with one tank and dry suit. Which is your recommended routing and hose lenghts? I use Hog D1 first stage with the 5th port.

Thank you!

Depends on your current regulator setup....
I'd run long hose down, "short" hose up on the other side, run the regular length drysuit hose down then back up, then a short inflator hose coming out of the bottom.

Why not using the drysuit as BC?

Then you just use a standard routing, short inflator out of 5th port to drysuit and that's it.

Why not using the drysuit as BC?...
Why not connect an additional inflator (I prefer 35cm).

Hoserouting for single tank is easy to get right with that first-stage.

One longhose (breathed - you can put a clip on it, but you would not need it often) one shorthose backup (necklaced, with 90 degree elbow at the second stage).
Both hoses coming from the left side around the neck.
Longhose routes down when diving and comes up again on the inside side of the cylinder, shorthose is going directly upwards.
One Inflator on the 5th port - drysuit.
One Inflator in the turret routed down when diving (close to the longhose) for the wing (you need a bit more length and flexibility there, but single tank is not meant for environments where that might matter).

Does not look very elegant when the tank is lying around on the shore with hoses sticking out in loops on top, but works in the water.

Why not using the drysuit as BC?

Then you just use a standard routing, short inflator out of 5th port to drysuit and that's it.

Unless he wants to oral inflate on the surface, that's not an option. Besides, wouldn't you want the BCD for redundancy? Just as well, he might prefer using his BCD for buoyancy, and only adds air into the drysuit to avoid squeeze. No point in adjusting your way of diving when you have a better/safer option.

If you think the additional inflator to be a hassle (on less ideal first stages mostly) you can dive most sidemount systems with oral inflation only.
Some wings are even build especially for that (most notably the Razor2 BAT-Wing, but there are a few others).
Using the drysuit for buoyancy reduces the maneuverability and maximum speed significantly - not to mention the problems when in vertical positions.

If you think the additional inflator to be a hassle (on less ideal first stages mostly) you can dive most sidemount systems with oral inflation only.
Some wings are even build especially for that (most notably the Razor2 BAT-Wing, but there are a few others).
Using the drysuit for buoyancy reduces the maneuverability and maximum speed significantly - not to mention the problems when in vertical positions.

sorry, that's bs. I know you're a razor nut, but every wing out there was designed for oral inflation so don't start the bs of "most notably the Razor2 BAT-wing". The original razor wing was just as effective at oral inflation, and so is any other system on the market. Nomad, Hollis, xDeep, whatever. They all have inflator mechanisms placed so you can inflate them orally with ease, especially when you swap them to the bottom on the Nomad and Hollis systems and run them to the chest strap, but they are just fine coming down the left shoulder just like every backmount wing has done for the last 30 years they just lose the ambidextrous ability if you don't swap them. UTD is the only one that is particularly difficult because they put it on the left shoulder instead of all the way across or to the middle of the chest.

You should never use your drysuit as primary inflation, that isn't what it is for and since you can't dump from a head down position is just a bad idea. Orally inflate, or run a second inflator. One hose on that first stage has to come up. Whether that means shorter secondary regulator coming up or inflator hose coming up doesn't matter.

Hi,

I would like to use sidemount in recreational diving with one tank and dry suit. Which is your recommended routing and hose lenghts? I use Hog D1 first stage with the 5th port.

Thank you!

I think it depends on what your two-tank setup looks like. I don't use my 5th Ports at all. My left post usually has my short hose and BC inflator routed up. My right post usually has my long hose and inflator routed down. When I switch to single tank, it's as easy as placing the two hoses from my right post on my left post in the same positions they had been in. I'm using a 14" flex inflator for my drysuit and my BCD.

What's your current setup?

sorry, that's bs....
It is not. :shakehead:
The Razor ist 'most notable' there since the second half of the redundant Wing is oral Inflation ONLY.
Some use this on purpose for the precision a slow inflation method like this offers.

Back
Top Bottom