Staff corruption at the Manila airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jphehe

Contributor
Reaction score
March 2014, I traveled with my buddies to Cebu on a diving trip. On my return trip at the Manila international airport, at the final check point, this happened:

After my carry-on bag was scanned and I passed the gate and was about to leave the gate with my stuff, this young guy in uniform came chasing me and stopped me by the table where passengers sort their items.

He said, my batteries should be with the check-in.

It didn't make sense. I said batteries should be with the carry-on. He said no.

He proceeded to search the bag. And when he opened it, he first saw my wallet, and he tried to rummaged my wallet. I then grabbed it and made a warning sound to him. It was odd, I quickly thought.

He then whispered to me: "I help you. You help me".

I idled for a few seconds, not understanding what he really meant.

"I help you. You help me." He said it again. "Your batteries must be valuable to you. Just give me something"

I then realized what he meant. His eyes pointing to my wallet.

I lowered my wallet into my bag and showed him that I didn't have much peso left, so I handed him maybe the last $50 peso. He quickly took it and let me go.

For a corrupted country like PH, this is not really surprising. But it still sucks when it happens to you.
After the incident, I tried to report it thru their website. Didn't find any appropriate method, so I gave up thinking they probably would cover up each other anyways.

Philippines has always been rife with corruption and Manila International Airport is by far the worst in the Far East, worse than even Jakarta. I first used it back in 1979 during the height of the Marcos era and had enough experience of it. When I presented at the currency exchange counter to change pesos to US dollars before leaving Manila, an 'official' standing nearby pretended to check my receipt from the incoming exchange and said that it was not in order. She indicated that there was a 'fine' to pay but when I made a noise, another uniformed guy arrived, checked the papers again and waved me on. Later I was told that this was a common practice to extort tourists.

You may have noticed that there are always long queues at Manila Airport. If you have a domestic flight to catch (which is often the case in an archipelago like the Philippines), you are likely to find yourself at the end of a long common queue even 2 hours before the flight. If you tell one of the uniformed staff that you might be delayed, they'll let you through for a "hand-warmer".

1. Welcome to Philippines.
2. Complaint will get you no where!!
3. You are allowed to bring P10,000.00 out of the country but they will try to convince you that it is P1,000.00!!!! Chinese and Korean are good target because of their poor command in English.
4. Always put your wallet inside your pack and let it goes through the X-ray machine!! You do not want those thieves physically open it and see the content!

Oh great, what a omen . . .something tells me I'm gonna be one mad & PO'd American in kicka$$ mode on my next visit there (or worse --pass the hat around my work place and SoCal dive buddies for contributions to my being kidnapped for ransom fund). :shocked2::shocked2:

You have to tip your server in a restaurant so why not your customs inspector? Baksheesh makes the world go 'round.

Never had an issue in the Philippines, now Cairo airport that's another matter.

Last exit from Cairo they were searching all hand baggage and I had stuffed my Egyptian pounds in a side pocket in my briefcase and the official told me that I was not allowed to take them outside of Egypt. I told him that he could have them provided he gave me an official receipt, needless to say I still have them :D

Normally I carry any cash in my zipped trouser pocket, the Cairo incident was due to being a bit unprepared when I was going through security prior to boarding.

I never play this game, I deal with a lot of compliance issues in the Middle East and the sooner more people stand up to this cr@p the better it will be for everyone.

Many countries have severely underpaid staff. In those areas, modest bribes are a matter of course. I know, it grates to our value system. However, logically I do not see how it is really different than tipping wait staff in restaurants or Dive masters on dive boats.

Many countries have severely underpaid staff. In those areas, modest bribes are a matter of course. I know, it grates to our value system. However, logically I do not see how it is really different than tipping wait staff in restaurants or Dive masters on dive boats.

Try using that as an excuse to the Department of Justice in a FCPA case :rofl3:

These relatively small bribes are just the thin edge of the wedge :no:

I am sorry but your comment is a joke. Divemaster and crew tips are given willingly in anonymous sealed envelopes and while missing hand tips in restaurants might elicit a few scowls, it seldom goes beyound that. Personally, I realise about underpaid staff and am a generous tipper.

But that or anything else is no excuse to lie and manipulate tourists for bribes and hand-outs. I agree that what happens at airports and such is a very small fraction of the big picture.

I am sorry but your comment is a joke. Divemaster and crew tips are given willingly in anonymous sealed envelopes and while missing hand tips in restaurants might elicit a few scowls, it seldom goes beyound that. Personally, I realise about underpaid staff and am a generous tipper.

Are they? I suspect this is very variable. Personally, I walk up to the divemaster or captain and hand them cash. No envelopes, and certainly no need for anonymity.

But that or anything else is no excuse to lie and manipulate tourists for bribes and hand-outs. I agree that what happens at airports and such is a very small fraction of the big picture.

What is described in the OP is analogous to going to Cozumel and being told by your guide that unless you slip him a little extra, you will be shore diving Paradise Reef. On a 30cf tank. Without fins.

Back
Top Bottom