Cavern / Intro Cave Playa del Carmen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kafkaland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the opportunity to go to Playa del Carmen this winter, and instead of doing guided cavern dives I thought it would be better to get the proper training instead and take a cavern course, perhaps followed by intro cave. Does anyone have suggestions for a reputable instructor or school? I do appreciate quality instruction and want to learn as much as possible, but don't care much for the 'taskmaster' style - I'm on vacation after all. Thanks!

Well, cavern or cave instruction will be a bit "taskmaster" style, because the standards of cave diving are so much higher than those of open water instruction.

I have a couple of recommendations for teachers -- Natalie Gibb (nat@diablodivers.com) and Jason Renoux (essentialscubatraining.com) are two people I know very well and have dived with, who are safety oriented and also very nice folks. They will hold you to cave quality standards, though. You should expect nothing else.

I was going to suggest ProtecPlaya, since you're in Playa. But it will be a more intense course, especially if you get Patrick. Like Lynn says, the courses should be taught at a higher level. If someone is offering you an easy cavern course, they don't have your best interests at heart - they just want your cash.

+1 for Nico. He's an excellent, patient, thorough, professional and safe teacher. As gearhound and Lynn have pointed out it won't be easy, but it shouldn't be. There are many shops that can do this for you, but you don't want one that will just check boxes and give you a card. You need to earn your cave card. I did Cavern with Nico two years ago and it humbled me (did "only" cavern because I wasn't there long enough to do full cave). At the time I have over 300 dives and thought I was pretty decent. Whoa - it was eye opening, but still the card I'm most proud of carrying. Until I get full cave that is :)

I recommend Erik at Beyond Diving. You will get a "boutique" experience, high caliber instruction and have a great time. He is my "go to" guy whenever I am in the Mayan Riviera.

A big Thank You to everyone. I have contacted some of the instructors mentioned above, and look forward to a great experience. And, for those who voiced concerns, I perhaps didn't word my caveat quite right. I'm not looking for an easy course (if I wanted "easy" I would just do the guided tours), I just know that a certain style of instruction is counterproductive for me. If I make a mistake, I want it pointed out to me in a calm, adult fashion, and not getting yelled and screamed at. I don't need the latter to be reminded of the unforgivingness of the environment. It just makes me question the maturity of the instructor, and I lose respect for him or her rather quickly. But that's mostly a reflection of me and how I judge others, and I don't want it to get in the way of me getting the most out of my course.

I always dive with Cave Heaven out of Tulum. Adam is a wonderful guide/instructor. Being that Playa is not far from Tulum, there are a wide variety of places to get training between there.

+1 for cave heaven, big recommendation for Adam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom