Hollis or DSS single tank wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontwreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I need to replace my wing. If you have used either of these wings, how well does the single tank stabilizer work? I have Worthington 108 LP steel tanks. I am leaning towards the Hollis because it is available at 3 dive shops close to me. I really don't want another wing that requires a single tank adapter. Will either of these wings work with my Dive Rite back plate? Thanks

with a tank that large on a hard backplate you really want to be using a STA, no wing stabilizer can really keep a tank that big and heavy from moving around a little bit.
Most any wing will work with most any backplate. Hard plates are standardized and with the exception of some weird wings, the bolt hole spacing is universal.
Deep Sea Supply has a much higher quality wing than Hollis IMHO, so does Oxycheq. The Hollis wings aren't bad, just overpriced for what they are. The HOG wings are actually quite good and the stabilizers work well.

I use a DSS 26 Torus wing and backplate with single 108's and 119's... no issues whatsoever. The DSS tank straps have the rubber wedge which keeps the tank as close to the plate as possible and eliminates any tank "wiggling".

I have been using a Pioneer wing with a STA and recently I purchased a Hollis S25 LX. It has the builtin STA so I gave it a try and it works great but I've not tried using it with an 8" tank (the LP108 is 8" rather than 7.25"). When I bought the Hollis wing I figured I'd give it a try without a STA. If it didn't work I had a STA I could start using. You could buy the wing and try it. If it isn't stable enough you can buy a STA to go with it.

The other reason you might need a STA is if the holes in the Hollis wing don't line up with holes in the back plate.

Check in the Diveshop if the backplate and wing camband slots line up.
If not then you're going to have to use an STA.

I say go with the STA for sure. I dive an OMS Steel Plate and OMS Steel STA. Holds my HP100 rock solid. Defenitely go STA!

Between those two, DSS for sure. Hollis gear enjoys the reputation it does due to it being a large, well-marketed business, not because it's particularly high-quality. Which is not to say it's bad, just that it's pricey and not as good as other options on the market.

with a tank that large on a hard backplate you really want to be using a STA, no wing stabilizer can really keep a tank that big and heavy from moving around a little bit.

... not so. I commonly dive 119 and 130 tanks with my DSS Torus 35 ... got well over 1200 dives on that wing and have never noticed any lack of stability ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom