Anyone spearing out of Sarrasota keep an eye out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all I'm glad that everyone is safe and alive. I know this sounds harsh but....

Moral of the story. Only dive with people you know and trust. Test new divers in 50fsw before taking them deep.

No excuse for running out of air at 105fsw unless it was a blown hose, o ring, etc... Even then, you should have enough air (or training) to safely ascend to surface.
If he just plain ran out of air, why didn't he notice that his breathing got harder and not hear his tank ringing from low psi.

I no longer deco dive and stay to my psi limits because I blew a hose at 95fsw once. Luckily I had plenty of air, but it really opened up my eyes to the danger of deeper diving without redundant air.

That young man is going to have to claim bankruptcy if he didn't have DAN.

I hear ya Water Boy...Most of my spearfishing is done on Offshore oil rigs in the Gulf. If you have never dove or spearfished on an oil rig, it brings a whole new light to spearfishing. Basically you are diving a verticle reef. You rarely see the bottom and in a lot of cases the bottom may be at 300 ft deep or more. It brings in a lot more technical aspect to diving. For example ..having an awareness of overhead pipes, old fishing lines, paying more attention to your computer and or depth gauge. Then when you add spearfishing to the mix, some people get complacent about the main tasks of diving.

Unless I know for a fact you have spearfished before on a rig, If you are with me or my buddies, I will make you take a dry run dive on a trip before letting you take a speargun off the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom