Elite 2 with which wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lf17

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at the Hollis Elite 2 harness but not sure which wing to go for (or the differences between all of them). Can everybody help by suggesting the most suitable combination for the following dive conditions?

- I normally dive with single tank for now but would like the flexibility of switching between single and twinset
- I dive in cold and warm water.
- I plan to get only one wing, to start with anyway.

I have heard that if it has enough lift (such as s38) for drysuit, I wouldn't have to worry when I use it with shortie or just a t-shirt. Is that correct?

Thanks guys

Hi all,

Looking at the Hollis Elite 2 harness but not sure which wing to go for (or the differences between all of them). Can everybody help by suggesting the most suitable combination for the following dive conditions?

- I normally dive with single tank for now but would like the flexibility of switching between single and twinset
- I dive in cold and warm water.
- I plan to get only one wing, to start with anyway.

I have heard that if it has enough lift (such as s38) for drysuit, I wouldn't have to worry when I use it with shortie or just a t-shirt. Is that correct?

Thanks guys

I have exactly the set-up you describe, the Elite 2 and an S38LX wing. It works very well for diving with my HP119 single cylinder in cold water, wet or dry, with or without the weight of an additional pony. It works still nicely in warm water with an Al80 and me wearing a rash guard, but I notice that sometimes a bit of air gets trapped in the right side of the wing. I can shake it lose by wiggling my shoulders a bit, or simply take another 2lb so that I don't have to worry about emptying it completely to hold my safety stop at the end of the dive. It's a minor annoyance, but not so bad that I would get another smaller wing for travel. It will not work for diving with a twinset, as far as I can tell, although I haven't tried that yet. Also, you will run into a small problem threading the lower cam band, the instructions are simply inaccurate. Finally, I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't replace the Elite 2 with a simple webbing harness. I have never used the shoulder releases, and they just take up unnecessary space where I like to have my lights.

Forget the Elite 2, go with a single piece harness. As for the wing, chose whether you want to dive with a single or double tanks, since the a wing wide enough to lay properly under a twinset is just going to wrap around a single tank. Wings aren't that expensive.

I have to agree with not getting the Elite 2. If you want a comfort type harness there are easier ones to use out there. A simple harness is ok for some but I had troubles getting in and out of it due to a mobility issue in my shoulder. I found the Elite 2 to a bit of a PITA to adjust so I bought the Deep Outdoors harness to replace and love it. I can snap out of it quickly in an emergency if needed and I don't worry about the buckles being plastic. As for singles vs doubles, go with two wings. I tried using a double wing for a single tank and switched back to my Hollis S38 with my Deep Outdoors harness. I did not have an issue with the wing wrapping up around the tank but it did cause drag. I dive dry (White's Fusion Bullet), and use the S38 all the time with either steel 100's or AL 80's and I plan to use it for vacation diving in warm water too. The S38 is a pretty compact wing with good lift. Another wing you could look at is the APEKS WTX 40, a bit spendy but it is supposed to be very nicely built.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Oh, one oother thing. The straps on the Elite 2 are stitched to the comfort straps of the harness. The straps are not free moving at all.

The Harness is irrelevant but you need to make sure your single wing mates properly with your backplate. The Hollis wings have slots for the cam bands which need to line up with the slots in the plate. Hollis plates are obviously compatible, some others are and some aren't. None of the single tank wings will work with doubles, they are not wide enough. If you are investing in gear for diving doubles later get a proper doubles wing. I too agree on the one piece harness... the Hollis Solo is a nice one and the S25 wing is plenty for single tank dives.

Depending on how much weight you will be using with your dry suit setup I would not go with less than the 38-40 lb lift. You can use your dry suit for extra bouyancy but if you have any kind of a blow out you could come up short with a 25lb lift wing. Many people I know that dive up north in the Puget Sound are diving with no less than a 38-40 lb lift wing. Most of the people I know diving doubles and dry suits are diving a 60lb lift IIRC. Matching your wing to your backplate is irrelevant if you use an STA. I use an STA on my rig and have zero issues with a different brand of wing matched to a different brand of harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom