PADI Divemaster Tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trunkmonkey48

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am currently doing the PADI DM program. I was wondering is there certain test I should take in a certain order. I am looking for any trips towards the written tests that there is. I have all the other stuff done now I am just working on reading the chapters and doing the writtens. Thanks again for the help.

Order is not important, but reading and UNDERSTANDING the material is. DO not rush the book stuff. Theory is important at the professional level, and will be n important tool in diagnosing and dealing with various issues working DM's can encounter. Jump in, study to learn the material, and the tests will be incidental.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for the tips. I will do that. It is pretty easy for me to grasp the concepts and that. Really enjoying this in becoming a DM. I have a really awesome instructor as she has taught me since I started my first class of OW with her.

T... I have a really awesome instructor as she has taught me since I started my first class of OW with her.

That could be very true. Some advice...try to participate in as much real class, pool, and open water work with other instructors as well. You will be a more "well rounded" Dive Master as a result.

Been doing that as I try to help out as much as I can. Especially watching the different teaching styles.

Perfect. Good luck.

If you haven't already, I suggest to start following the "Going Pro" forum.

Bil

As long as you do the reading and understand the material, you will do fine in the test. It seems to be the folks that want to blow through the material that have issues with the test. Much of the material is review from what you have already learned along your journey to this point.

Since the revision of the DM programme is 2010 there are now only 2 written tests. Under PADI standards for the DM programme, you should have complete KR chapters 1-5 and part 1 of the final exam before you started assisting on courses. There is no specific time/place in training when you need to complete KR 6-9 and final exam part 2.

If you are referring to the old DM proramme with separate exams in Physics, Psysiology, Equipment and RDP Deco Theory, there is no order required as technically they are no longer part of the course. That being said I always think its much better to give the lectures and have students sit these tests anyway, so its great that you are doing them. In my personal opinion I was disappointed when the standards changed that so much theory was removed. I get the aim of the changes - that in principle that DM should concentrate more on waterwork and IDC on more complex theory. But DM candidates these days (particularly when learning through a centre/instructor who teach minimum requirements on a 'ticked that box' kind of mentality) can get through their whole programme without so much as picking up the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, which I think it a massive shame and a huge waste.

What you will find as you do your reading, is that much of the content in these 4 topics are interchangeable. So if you get stuck with a particular aspect, just continue with your reading on the other topics and come back to it, and you may find the understanding will come naturally. And as the others have said, take your time. Its not the speed at which you learn that's important, its the understanding and retention of the material.

Good luck and enjoy the rest of your DM :)

Thanks for the info my dive instructor is really wants me to know the in's and outs of diving when it comes to being a dive master. Plus she is grooming me to be an instructor one day. So she is making sure that I really understand and know my stuff. What is the "going pro"?

Forum: Going Pro

Everything Dive Master Candidates and future Dive Cons always wanted to know but were afraid to ask... If you are interested in taking the next step in diving and going pro, this is the forum for you.

Going Pro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom