Atlantis Dumaguete Trying to Identify 2 Crustaceans from Apr-May 2014 Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickeyf413

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I shot these two photos while staying and diving at Atlantis Dive Resort in Dumaguete in late April 2014. I know Marco will know what they are :D

I haven't been able to find any information or similar pictures anywhere. I'm trying to put together a kids book and would like to use these pictures

Any help in identifying these little guys would be greatly appreciated

The 1st photo was taken on Sat 4/26/2014 around 9am Site - Cars IMG_2217a.jpg

The 2nd phot was taken on Sun 4/27/2014 around 9am site - Dauin Sur IMG_2422b.jpg

I shot these two photos while staying and diving at Atlantis Dive Resort in Dumaguete in late April 2014. I know Marco will know what they are :D

I haven't been able to find any information or similar pictures anywhere. I'm trying to put together a kids book and would like to use these pictures

Any help in identifying these little guys would be greatly appreciated

The 1st photo was taken on Sat 4/26/2014 around 9am Site - Cars View attachment 193367

The 2nd phot was taken on Sun 4/27/2014 around 9am site - Dauin Sur View attachment 193368

Hi rickeyf413!

rob1967 got it right; first photo is of a sea spider (pycnogonid). Books say it is not a crustacean; it's classified as a chelicerate. Like spiders are not insects, they're arachnids. The fact that they have no antennae excludes them from being members of subphylum Crustacea.

The second photo is what we call a bug-eyed squat lobster. But as is the case with most common names, other people may call it something else. In the Humann/DeLoach critter book it's called an Olivar's squat lobster.

Great shots of both critters! Thanks for diving with us! Go Tigers! :D

-marco

Looks like I was beaten to the punch on the IDs

2 great pics there rickey............Did you like Apo Island diving while there???, we were @ Pura Vida in Oct of '12(remember being there for the SC & A&M game)......& I'll close with-----------> GEAUXXXX TIII---GERRSSSS.......See you tomorrow nite @ the moo u game, ...lol maybe......

Thanks guys for the quick replies and the answers

Like I said I knew Marco would know what they were

Now I can finish my book in time for the holidays

Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom