Malapascua recovery photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have photos of Malapascua as it is now? I was supposed to dive there last year but Yolanda beat me by two weeks. I will be giving it another go this November. I have dived there for many years so I am hoping the coconut palms have recovered from their defrocking. It seems the threshers were unperturbed by the disruption.

thanks, Jason.

Hi Jason

We went in June and Bounty Beach had even then recovered to the extent that if you hadn't been told that a typhoon had happened , you would not know. We had been there before and could see that many of the resorts had been rebuilt in a more robust design. Many of the Palm trees were there but minus many of their leaves. However they were growing back too. The plants in front of Ocean Vida we tee doing really well. The village behind the resorts though still needed lots of work. Everybody we met said that they were overwhelmed by the donations from the dive shops and former diving guests, that allowed them to rebuild their homes.

The very best thing you can do is go , spend money and see the theshers. Our previous visit was in early February , in this June visit the water was a lot warmer , the vis 20 to 30mts and there seemed to be more fish life. There were heaps of threshers on both visits.

I am not sure how to attach pictures on SB, sorry!

Have a great trip

Great, I am going anyway but since I've been there so many times I don't want to be too shocked. I know they are rebuilding the structures but so many of the coconut palms were cut in half or stripped of fronds I wasn't sure if the plants could recover. I sure it was very difficult to have not only the home so damaged but to have hardly any shade on the island. I am looking forward to seeing everyone I know there in good spirits.

thanks, Jason.

Malapascua is 100% back give or take some coconut trees. Broken trees are gone and will be missed but some new ones have been planted. In the meantime the survivors have started to really sprout and thicken and the canopy is returning. The Talisay trees are the metaphor for the island. Stripped bare and broken they sprouted buds within a week of the super typhoon and have been growing back ever since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom