Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChilliNZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

So, I'm completing a thesis at the northern tip of NZ's south island - some already has been in late summer/autumn where I was using a two piece 5mm suit with hood and that was getting a little chilly at the end there - like, sharp and piercing cold, haha.

Now, I'm going down tomorrow and the water temp is hovering between 12-13oC (55oF) for you imperial lot - the dry suit I just bought is necessary, correct? I'm a little worried given that I don't think the other hell diver/slightly stupid/macho diver will be wearing one - though, he tends to sprint underwater with a surface supplied source.

I suppose on a slightly different matter - my thesis supervisor said I can't buy a dry suit on my thesis but I can rent one - only the dive shops around here don't have my size to rent... the work and safety regulations here stipulate that 15oC is a guideline for dry suit diving and that I must be afforded adequate exposure protection to be comfortable in the given conditions and technically I'm actually employed as a research assistant during these trips as my thesis is a side issue on the bigger contract my supervisor has with this company.

I just dropped nearly $3000 on a hood, boots and a Whites Fusion Bullet - would you be pushing the issue with your supervisor or not?

Cheers!!!
Adam

I'd argue that 15c doesn't warrant drysuit depending on how deep you are going. We regularly take students out for training dives in 10c water for 40 minute dives but they don't exceed 35ffw, and it's only 2 dives/day. If you feel you need it, than you need it, though it may be a bit too late since you already bought it, if he says no, you're kind of SoL. I know NZ has higher pricing in general, but I do know you could have certainly spent less on a quality drysuit which might have gotten you a bit better of an argument.

Do you know how to dive in a drysuit?

What is your thesis on?

The local quarry temperatures are in the mid-40s F (say around 7 C) at 55-60 feet down. The LDS provides 7 mm Farmer John overalls and jacket as rental equipment for diving the quarry. I've dived it a few times at that depth and temperature; it's not uncomfortable but if I was down for more than 30 minutes I could see it beginning to wear on me. I really don't like the bulk and weight of the wetsuit but his is more of an issue when I'm out of the water

The people who dive every weekend wear drysuits.

At these temperatures I would definitely be in a dry suit.

I would be creative. Have the shop "rent" you your own drysuit. The money paid in rental fees would go toward paying off the suit. A rent-to-own option.

Lol! Yeah, man - I actually mentioned this to the guys just before I bought the suit and they said they'd ask the owner and see if they can't provide me a receipt. I might also do the same with my BCD/regs/etc that I bought and should've rented.
I might be up front though and mention that I'm thinking​ of buying a dry suit and charging back a rental to myself to my supervisor and see what he thinks.

I'd be in a drysuit, no question. I was in a drysuit in 21C a couple weeks ago, and everyone else on the boat called me a wuss. I was the only one that wasn't cold after the second dive though....no more wuss comments then. I was even chivalrous enough to lend my undergarment jumper to someone who couldn't get warm post-dive!

Don't take this as an endorsement or recommendation, but I had no problem diving dry the first time without a course. I read as much as I could, thought through the physics and procedures, practiced donning and doffing, and did 2 confined water practices (20mins in my neighbours pool, working out weighting, buoyancy etc, and a baby shore dive) before going out on a boat.... I think it was just as easy dry as wet (and buoyancy maybe easier?).

Back
Top Bottom