Seattle Area in Oct-Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KevinA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to be up in the Seattle area the second week of Oct and would love some tips on where I should dive, rent tanks/weights, and what water temps to expect. I'm fairly new diver with just over 40 dives, but I'm fairly comfortable with low viz and a little current. After a quick browse through this forum, I've seen many people say a dry suit is really the best option up there but I haven't had any experience diving dry suit yet. Living in Houston, I've only got 3 mm wet suit which I'm happy wearing down to 70F. Below that and I'll probably want to rent a heavier one. Any tips, advice, or warnings would be welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin

Water temperatures in October will at best be about 50 degrees, and may dip into the 40s. Visibility can range from 5 to 25 feet. The first, third, and last weeks of October are the best for tides (we plan all our diving around tides and currents). Almost any dive shop in the Seattle area will be able to rent you a heavy wetsuit -- you'll likely be wearing a 7 mil Farmer John setup (so 14 mil on the torso). It's quite a different experience from warm water diving, and you should either make arrangements with an experienced local diver to buddy up, or hire a DM to give you a hand with the first couple of dives. I would volunteer, but I will be in the Philippines while you are here :)

I would recommend, if you don't have someone step up here, that you post on the nwdiveclub.com forum. Lots of local divers post and read there -- it's the best place I know to ask for a dive buddy.

Thanks, TSandM. I'll check it out.

Kevin

I would definitely go over to NWDC as TSandM suggests. There are a lot more local divers there to talk with there.

I realize I didn't say anything -- normally, I would offer to do some guiding, but I'm going to be in the Philippines for two weeks!

I too am interested in diving in WA but will be there in December? :) I assume temps will be in the upper 40's? Is it advisable/doable to dive in a thick wetsuit at such temps? I mostly dive in FL(near Tampa) and have not done any diving below 65F. Also, what are some good diving sites north of Seattle(i.e. in or close to Bellingham)? I am only aware of Keystone jetty on Whidbey Island. I'll be up there for Christmas and am not dry suit certified. Down here I do a lot of solo shore diving, less than 45 feet but I understand Puget Sound is a different animal (would like to buddy up with someone when if dive up there).

I too am interested in diving in WA but will be there in December? :) I assume temps will be in the upper 40's? Is it advisable/doable to dive in a thick wetsuit at such temps? I mostly dive in FL(near Tampa) and have not done any diving below 65F. Also, what are some good diving sites north of Seattle(i.e. in or close to Bellingham)? I am only aware of Keystone jetty on Whidbey Island. I'll be up there for Christmas and am not dry suit certified. Down here I do a lot of solo shore diving, less than 45 feet but I understand Puget Sound is a different animal (would like to buddy up with someone when if dive up there).

I would definitely go here - Northwest Dive Club ? Index page - you will find all sorts of info on diving the Puget Sound. Another site is The Perfect Dive | Local SCUBA Diving Sites and Marine Life Photo ID Galleries. Hooking up with locals is definitely a smart idea. Diving this kind of water is very different than Florida. I used to free dive the Gulf Coast and this is definitely different. I would start by signing up and introducing yourself then post in the General Scuba Discussion forum. There are lots of divers there that will talk to you and you should be able to find someone to dive with. South of Bellingham is Edmonds Underwater Park but that is 1 hour & 25 minutes south but still a cool dive. Ask about the Anacortes area, I am sure you find someone who can fill you in. One. thing to keep in mind is that NWDC can be a bit slow sometimes but the people there are good folks.

We teach classes in the wintertime, with the students in wetsuits. They wear 7 mil suits with 7 mil core warmers. They do okay; for one dive, it seems like it's fine.

There is little diving around Bellingham, because the sea floor there has little structure, and it's mostly mud flats. You know about Keystone -- there is also diving in Port Townsend, and of course in the San Juans, both from shore and from charters.

I visited the Seattle area a year ago. Based on excellent recommendations from TSandM we picked a hotel in West Seattle. What a great location to visit the Metro-Seattle area from. It was close to a ferry to the heart of Seattle, it was close to an excellent dive site, it was close to the highest systems, and there was awesome seafood there. TSandM recommended NWGratefulDiver (Bob) to dive with. Due to other prior engagements Bob referred me to Peter Guy. Peter was an excellent host. He helped us prearrange our equipment rental and showed us a good time diving. I highly recommend using Peter; and what I know of Bob (NWGratefulDiver) would be a good choice too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom