Planning a trip in the Visayas, Need Some Scheduling Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello Everyone,

I am planning a trip to the Visayas, hitting Malapascua, Dumaguete, Moalboal and Bohol. I will have three weeks of total travel time, beginning October 28th. First question: Do you guys think this is an overly ambitious plan, given the time frame? If not, how do you think I should run it? I was thinking Malapascua first, then Moalboal, followed by Bohol, then ending in Dumaguete and flying out of there. Does that sound smart?

Also, does anyone have the inside scoop on where the best dive sites are in Bohol? I'm having some trouble figuring that out, so I am really unsure of where I should stay.

Thanks!

Four stops in three weeks is too much...this is only three diving days in each spot..I would leave out Bohol..even though it's great. Otherwise I would say Maolboal , but it has the sardines and the Whale sharks as Oslob.

Are you arriving in Cebu on the 28th then? If you're arriving in the morning, you could make it to Malapascua that afternoon. But if in the afternoon or evening, probably need to plan on going the next day. But if you're going to Moalboal first, you could get there even if you arrive at Cebu in the afternoon or evening.

I don't think it's that bad of an itinerary. Figure one day to switch locations for each of those if you head out early in the a.m. when moving, so I think it's legit. My big mistake was the Bohol ferries seemed to run at different times than what I thought I found in the interwebs. Some local papers though have the schedule, and that seemed more accurate.

One thing that I learnt about internal flights in the Philippines is that anything can happen. Most major airports are overcrowded and chaotic with long queues for everything. Flights are more overbooked than is common practice elsewhere and quite often you have to fight for your booked and "confirmed" seat. If they shrug their shoulders helplessly, holding your ground and insisting often helps, provided you are on the right side of course.

Allow more waiting time at Philippine airports than you normally would for domestic flights.

Three weeks to cover four places is a bit of rush.
As already suggested, I would leave out Bohol.
Malapascua, Moalboal(side trip to Oslob if preferred) and finish at Dumaguete. I would also allocate most of the time in Malapascua and Dumaguete.
But if you insist on Bohol then I would suggest either Malapascua, Moalboal, Dumaguete and ending in Bohol or Malapascua, Bohol, Dumaguete and ending in Moalboal.
Option 1: Single from Manila to Cebu and single from Tagbilaran to Manila.
Option 2: Return between Manila and Cebu(very frequent connection).

Hi David

I think its certainly doable to hit all 4 areas within 3 weeks, but you don;t mention how you plan to travel - low budget bus/ferry or personalised transfers and flights that could make all the difference to the amount of time you would have for diving in each place.

i would not take your route (malapascua,moalboal, bohol, dumaguete) as its hard to get from Moalboal to Bohol without having to go back to cebu city.
I would do - Malapascua; Moalboal ; Duamguete ; Bohol or
Malapascua ; Bohol ; Dumaguete ; Moalboal (which would work well if you are flying into/out of Cebu (Mactan))

If you are doing low budget some things to consider...
bus from Cebu to Malapascua takes about 5hrs from the North terminal, then you have a 45 minute banca ride to the island. thats both ways so you'll need to plan for 2 non-diving travel days.

There are several ferry companies operating between cebu city and tagbilaran, ride taxes approx 3.5 hrs

buses to Moalboal leave from the south terminal in Cebu City so you have to cross over the whole city from the north terminal - can take 1 hr if traffic is bad and it often is. Bus to moalboal takes about 3 hours - so depending on the schedule and frequency you may need to spend a night in cebu and again that will take up travel time.

moalboal to dumaguete will be approx 4 hrs of combination of bus/ferry/tricycle or taxi - depending where you stay you may want to ask for a pick up/ dropoff from Sibulan Pier as a hassle-free option.

There are 2 ferries each day between Dumaguete and Tagbilaran, i think its about 3 hrs.
closest places to dive are Panglao and Balicasag Island - its about 45 mins in taxi from the Tagbilaran ferry terminal to Panglao Island / Alona Beach.
If you have time you might consider going up to Anda on the east coast of Bohol -transfer there is about 2.5 hrs great macro.
From Tagbilaran you can take a ferry to Cebu or Dumaguete or fly to Cebu or Manila - depending on where you international flight departs from.

Best dive spots in Bohol are around Alona Beach - short (5-10 minute) banca rides to the sites - excellent macro. There are numerous dive centres and resorts of all budgets to choose from. They can all arrange day trips to Balicasag island where the sites are mostly steep walls with fans and soft corals, lots of turtles, some nudibranchs and macro critters like leaf fish, big school of jacks and barracuda, some snappers.

Personally i preferred Bohol's local sites over Moalboal's local sites so you may want to skip the shore/local spots on that portion and concentrate on getting out to Pesscador Island. The sardines are reportedly around at the moment.

Have fun - wish i was going back again but i have to wait until June2015 now!

listen to nudisusie - she has absolutely dialed it in and you will not get better advice, or more accurate information, regarding your plan. and if the sardines are running in moalboal it is not to be missed. remember to stay shallow - having millions of sardines pooping on your head tends to affect the viz a little (personal lesson learned). have fun! it is a great plan.

Back
Top Bottom