Gear Set-Up Replacing Air-2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinsmithrn

Registered
Reaction score
I have a ScubaPro Knighthawk and LadyHawk both setup with Air2. I have Aeris 1st stages and regs. After research and a few dives I have decided to go with a more conventional approach to my Alt Air Supply. Would there be any issue in adding an Octupus reg to both setups without removing the Air2 inflator/regulator. I do-not have the stock scubapro inflators that come with the BC and really don't want to spend the money on replacing something I don't need to. I would just be adding the octopus reg hose to one of the free LP ports correct?

Thanks

Kevin

That is correct, you would then essentially have 2 octos for use, but also keep in mind this adds another item that could leak/fail. So you should still treat the Air 2 unit as an ocot, perform pre-dive checks with it, and properly care for it post dive and serviced properly when servicing your regs.

I know you do not want to spend extra money right now but you could spend the money replace the inflators now and sell the Air 2 units.

You would essentially have 1 primary reg, an octo, and your personal backup (the Air 2).
Hose gets torqued roughly 30-40lbs tight. So hand tight and lightly snug with a wrench.

Might as well spend the $35ea. to replace the Air2, as annual service for those units will run you double per unit at least.
Just get a generic inflator from Trident. Any Dive shop should carry or be able to order one.
Inflator hose will run you another $15-20 ea.

I would not be comfortable with not servicing an Air 2 annually VS not servicing an standard inflator annually.
Most inflators are never serviced in fact. Forgotten about, but very few parts to go wrong TBH.

There's been very few Air 2 units I've broken apart that weren't filthy. Even when taken the utmost care and keeping free from the bottom muck/sand, they always develop a very nice slime layer inside, because they just trap moisture oh too well.

I would not be comfortable with not servicing an Air 2 annually ... There's been very few Air 2 units I've broken apart that weren't filthy. Even when taken the utmost care and keeping free from the bottom muck/sand, they always develop a very nice slime layer inside, because they just trap moisture oh too well.

FWIW, I've had the same AIR 2 since ca. 1990. It's been serviced only once (a couple of years ago when it began bubbling a bit due to a seat that had hardened over time). Although it's seen a few saltwater dives, it's mostly used in freshwater. I care for it the same way I care for my other regs: connect it to pressure and wash it a couple of times with liberal amounts of tap water flowing from a hose (being careful to manipulate all buttons/controls), and set it aside to dry before storing it away until the next dive. The person (a friend and LDS owner) who serviced it actually sold it to me! He commented on how pristine the internals were when it disassembled it.

I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever about my AIR 2. In fact, when I purchased and began using my SS Freedom Plate a couple of years ago, I switched my AIR 2 from my Scubapro Classic Stab Jacket to the Halcyon Pioneer Wing I use with my Freedom Plate. The AIR 2 still works like a charm--whether it's powered by one of my Scubapro Mk 10 regs or one of my Poseidon Odin regs.

I did a quick "local" dive just this past weekend wearing the AIR 2. An hour-long, shallow, solo dive in an Army COE lake about 3.5 hours away. The AIR 2, as usual, didn't miss a beat.

One other thing: When I was anticipating taking a cavern+basic cave course (ca. 1988), I sold my original AIR 2 to free up some cash so I could afford a second conventional reg to use during the course. As soon afterward as I was able, I purchased another AIR 2 (the AIR 2 I still dive with), and have never looked back.

FWIW.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

FWIW, I've had the same AIR 2 since ca. 1990. It's been serviced only once (a couple of years ago when it began bubbling a bit due to a seat that had hardened over time). Although it's seen a few saltwater dives, it's mostly used in freshwater. I care for it the same way I care for my other regs: connect it to pressure and wash it a couple of times with liberal amounts of tap water flowing from a hose (being careful to manipulate all buttons/controls), and set it aside to dry before storing it away until the next dive. The person (a friend and LDS owner) who serviced it actually sold it to me! He commented on how pristine the internals were when it disassembled it.

I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever about my AIR 2. In fact, when I purchased and began using my SS Freedom Plate a couple of years ago, I switched my AIR 2 from my Scubapro Classic Stab Jacket to the Halcyon Pioneer Wing I use with my Freedom Plate. The AIR 2 still works like a charm--whether it's powered by one of my Scubapro Mk 10 regs or one of my Poseidon Odin regs.

I did a quick "local" dive just this past weekend wearing the AIR 2. An hour-long, shallow, solo dive in an Army COE lake about 3.5 hours away. The AIR 2, as usual, didn't miss a beat.

One other thing: When I was anticipating taking a cavern+basic cave course (ca. 1988), I sold my original AIR 2 to free up some cash so I could afford a second conventional reg to use during the course. As soon afterward as I was able, I purchased another AIR 2 (the AIR 2 I still dive with), and have never looked back.

FWIW.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

How you dive and maintain gear is not how others will dive and maintain gear. You've got a good system of care and dive profile to keep the Air 2 clean. Not everyone will have your experience.

I care for it the same way I care for my other regs: connect it to pressure and wash it a couple of times with liberal amounts of tap water flowing from a hose (being careful to manipulate all buttons/controls), and set it aside to dry before storing it away until the next dive.

Sorry, I left off an important part of AIR 2 care that I don't do (can't do) with my conventional regs: The AIR 2 remains attached to my BC. When washing the BC, I put tap water into the BC through the AIR 2, put some air into the BC, swish the water around inside the BC, then empty the water out of the BC through, alternately, the AIR 2 and the BC's over-pressure relief valve(s). I do this at least two times (usually three times). These additional steps clean out the inflation mechanism in the AIR 2 (as opposed to its regulator mechanism).

After washing the outside of the BC (a couple of times using tap water flowing from a hose), I inflate the BC and hang it to drain and dry, being careful to elevate the AIR 2 so that water will not pool inside the AIR 2 as things are draining and drying.

Edit: I learned to care for my gear this way in my open water course in 1986.

rx7diver

That would fall under the category of 'the more--the better'..?.....Now you'll really be ready for that team concept of Ménage à trois.:)

I have had 2 different ScubaPro bc's with the air2 system. In both cases, I removed them and installed a standard inflator/hose unit. I did the first one after having an issue with the Air2 leaking and not being able to get repairs or parts while diving out of the US. I replaced my latest Air2 when I had a slight problem with a low pressure hose leak on a dive boat. since the Air2 inflator hose is NOT a standard size, I could not easily replace it on the boat with another reg unit. I missed 2 wonderful boat dives because of this.

I decided that I wanted an inflator system that used standard sized hoses and a unit that was more universal and more easily serviced and repaired. The replacement was quick and simple.

Vann Evans

I have had 2 different ScubaPro bc's with the air2 system. In both cases, I removed them and installed a standard inflator/hose unit. I did the first one after having an issue with the Air2 leaking and not being able to get repairs or parts while diving out of the US. I replaced my latest Air2 when I had a slight problem with a low pressure hose leak on a dive boat. since the Air2 inflator hose is NOT a standard size, I could not easily replace it on the boat with another reg unit. I missed 2 wonderful boat dives because of this.

I decided that I wanted an inflator system that used standard sized hoses and a unit that was more universal and more easily serviced and repaired. The replacement was quick and simple.

Vann Evans

vann_evans,

I carry a spare regulator hose, a spare AIR 2 hose, a spare power inflator/drysuit inflator hose, a power inflator (itself), and a spare HP hose in my gear bag. These really don't add much weight, don't take up much space, to the gear bag. If I'm driving to a dive site (so space and weight are less of a concern), I usually just simply throw in a second complete regulator, also. FWIW.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom