Steve Martin sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie712

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at his stuff he seems quite awesome and a very good instructor has anyone took his class is it worth the extra money at this point IM really interested in taking a class with him just seeing if anyone else has been there done that

2 days ago, I saw him debrieffing some trainees. By what I saw on the videos of them, I think they had deffinitively well worked, with a good trainer.

I'd do a course if I had money (student life hey ho), If you can, why not?

Are you wanting to learn to cave dive or just sidemount. I don't know him but it looks as if he teaches mainly for diving aluminum cylinders and small steel tanks. People can say what they want but the Razor / Stealth sidemount systems don't work well with large steel cylinders such as lp 108's etc. I would say it all depends on where you want to dive and with what type of tanks. Your profile says you are in Cookeville, Tn. If you are planning on cave diving in Florida I would recommend you do it in Florida. Edd Sorenson at Cave Adventurers would be the closest to you in Marianna, Fl. and he is hard to beat for sidemount. This is nothing against Steve as I don't know him but I would say get your training in the conditions most similar to what you are going to dive.

Thanks for the replies yes IM in Tennessee I spoke with edd about taking a class but I wouldn't mind doing some cave diving but mostly interested in open water and wreck penetration which I guess is similar to cave diving I like the not so clustered look of the razor but I say I will mostly dive al 80and lp85 and lp95 when dry diving

Opie,
You'll be fine diving the Stealth or Razor then. I'll pose another question - where do you plan on doing your vacation diving? If it's anywhere tropical, I would say to stay away from the "bigger" systems. 99%of the rest of the world is renting out al80's, and those bigger systems look terrible with them.

From what I understand, Steve is based in Europe right now, but on his way back down to Mexico for the winter. I've purchased his videos, and it is the same training that you would receive from some of the shops in Mexico (where he learned to sidemount). It's top notch!. And this is coming from a guy that learned to cave dive in Florida. If you're looking for training and equipment that would suit you for a variety of diving, rather than just cave filled 108's, then by all means book with Steve for when he's in Mexico or check out ProtecPlaya or Tulum (where the Stealth was originated). There's definitely nothing wrong with a winter vacation in Mexican cave country! Lots of topside stuff to do after the dives, and some beautiful caverns and caves to play around in.

I own the Stealth and dive it with al80s, lp85s and lp95s dry. It's the favourite out of all my sidemount rigs.

Thanks gearhound most of my dives are in tropical water as all we have is really cold mudholes I want something I can dive openwater with my wife and also beable to sneak off and do deco/ wreck diving one thing is do sure I could use a Mexican vacation

Hi opie!

If you are interested in sidemount diving, Frank is one of the best instructors in the area. He actually had the privilege of writing the PADI Sidemount Diver course and the TDI Advanced Sidemount Cave Diver course a couple of years ago. If you would like more information on the course let me know and I will gladly send it your way.

Looking forward to diving with you,

Karla

... but it looks as if he teaches mainly for diving aluminum cylinders and small steel tanks. ...
Steve Martin is this guy: Steel or Aluminium Cylinders..? (Steve Martin) - YouTube
More or less the leading expert on using steel tanks, at least the only one who did really try prove the theories he teaches to everyone.
More or less it amounts to this:
As with the Razor almost anything can be done with a Stealth. There are no tank-sizes it cannot handle (though the largest can be to much for some divers).

I know some people who met and dove with him on Gozo where he teaches part of the year with another experienced instructor and he seems to be as competent as he presents himself online.
He is one of the most experienced instructors and without equal in proving that online.
His videos are several lessons in themselves and for me they where most of my own sidemount education two or three years ago.
Women Make Better Side Mount Divers - YouTube
Sidemount Essentials - The Movie :D - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom