What is the best island to dive at in the North Atoll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba stan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We will be in the maldives in January, will spend a few days at the Sheraton and am looking for a resort with great diving after that. Everyone says to do a live aboard but I will be with a non diver and that is not an option. What are a few great islands that have spectacular diving in that area

In january, most liveboard are going south of male. just a question of currents. So go south of the lin male/ari atoll

Hi Scuba Stan,
Sheraton Full Moon resort has a diving center on the island, run by Euro Divers. Is there any reason to not dive from right there?

In January, we are in the Iruvai Monsoon season, where winds come predominantly from the northeast, and the main oceanic current goes east to west. What this means in terms of diving is that on the east side of any atoll there will be mainly strong incoming currents, with great visibility, but also potential for rough conditions on the outer reefs, caused by huge ocean swells. On the west side of the atolls there will be mainly outgoing currents, with less visibility. The mantas, by the way, usually hang out in the outgoing current side, so they will be easier to find on the west side of the atolls during the Iruvai monsoon (what is commonly called the dry season), while in the Hulhangu monsoon (the rainy season), they are easier to find on the east side of the atolls.
Sheraton Full moon resort is on the east side of the North Male atoll, so if you decide to stay in that area for diving, you will have the nice viz and strong incoming currents. There are some great drift dives in the area: Furana North, Club Med Corner, Lankan reef, Aquarium, Middle Point... all on outer reefs. For me these are great dives, but you need to like currents :) The small thilas inside the atoll might be trickier to do if the currents are strong: usually dive centers will take only experienced divers.

The reason why many liveaboards go to South Male atoll during this season is that there are some great kandus (channels), where you can do some thrilling drift dives.

If mantas is what you want to see, then move over to a resort closer to the West side of the atoll.

(I myself am based in Thulhagiri, in the middle of the North Male Atoll. Will gladly give you more info about the area & resort if you wish)

well explained
a lot of people asking for advise don't understand the different seasons /currents and why different fish are seen or not seen

Maybe you could repost this under things to consider when choosing an island

I taught my grand son to dive on Thulhagiri a few years ago, great memories
hope you still give house reef access, bit of a long pull on the rope but worth it
it amazes me how many islands are either too lazy, too mean or too frightened of an accident to cut a few entrance /exit points to allow house reef diving
keep up the good work
keith

Jmo Keith but Maldives are already doing enough damage by development on the islands without ideas for more. Poor Maldives being loved to death.

I'm going on a liveaboard end of December early January that us a northern atoll exploration trip. What do you think acsomos?

I worked on then named Lohifushi Island Resort in the North Male Atoll until 2007 and thought it was a great location to dive from. The resort itself wasn't too luxurious but the dive spots nearby (Aquarium, Manta Point etc...) were spectacular all year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom