Recommendations for Kaui??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aardal

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm headed to Kauai on the 10th thru the 17th. Any recommendations you might have for me? (dive operators, sites to see both land and dive sites, things to do etc)

I really appreciate it.

Was there last week, dove with bubbles below and fathom five. Both operators did ok, but conditions where not on our side. Low vis. and high seas with both operators we had problems, fathom five. They have 2 boats that are towed to the marina and launched. The day I dove with them both boats where used, it took us a little while to find the site, once the anchor was dropped our boat got a call from the other boat. They had ran out of gas, we pull up the anchor and go to there aid, towing them back to the ramp. We dove 2 sites, the icebox and three fingers I was not impressed at either site.
Next dive day with bubbles below, large seas made for a difficult trip. got in the water and became separated from 2 divers. The rest of us get back on the boat and we go pick up the 2 divers that where some distance away. We finally anchor and enter the water, spent the whole dive swimming around the anchor. I'm not sure how this happened, but as we tried to leave the site our anchor got rapped around a buoy and its line. The crew worked for at least an hour to get the anchor removed, never did so we left it for later retrieval. Went back to Port Allen to drop off 3 divers that where under the weather, 3 of us go back out to make our second dive. We checked out about 6 sites before just making a drift dive out side of the port.
Because of earlier rains vis was not the best. But neat hearing the whales.
My wife had a guide boat that we saw a lot of people using, but I don't have it handy so can only guess at its title. I think it was something like "The ultimate guide to Kauai" its blue with a satellite view of the island. Great book, they don't pull any Punch's and tells you if a restaurant is not good, not just what they offer on the menu.
Al

~AL
We have that book. It's the third edition that we own. Is there a more recent one?

What was the best thing that you got to experience there?

Aardal:
~AL
We have that book. It's the third edition that we own. Is there a more recent one?
What was the best thing that you got to experience there?
The edition we have is the 5th. They pick fathom five and bubbles below as there picks if I remember right. I think they say something about bubbles below losing a bit of there luster since recent staff changes.

Boy thats kind of a hard thing to put a finger on. There really was not one thing that sticks out. We did hike in Waimea canyon, that was cool. Going to Barking sands beach and watching the surfers and surf. Just driving along and taking in the beautiful views. Beach's, Beach's Beach's. Did I mention the Beach's? Sitting on the beach at Hanalei bay having a bubba burger for lunch. OK, OK I had two.........................
I had been to Kauai in 1989 and man is there more traffic.
Al
Oh yeah banana pancakes at the Oki Dinner in Lihu'e

Thanks for the tips Al.

I got my reservation in for two charters with Bubbles Below. I hope to do some good shore diving on the south side of the island.

Back
Top Bottom