Ikelite housing can fit these lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duarte

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Hello,

I'm thinking about getting my first underwater photo/videography kit but I have some questions

I'm thinking about getting the Canon 6D and the Ikelite 6870.60 eTTL housing (or do you recommend other?)

Could I use a Canon 24-105mm lens with that housing? Would I need to buy something extra to fit it?

And what about a Tokina 11-16mm?

Hope someone can help me,

Thanks

Duarte
[/FONT]

That housing, like almost all dive housings for SLR cameras, has a hole in the front for the lens. Meaning that just buying the housing is not enough to take your camera underwater. You have to buy ports. Some can be use for multiple lenses, some cannot. Here is the link to Ikelite's port chart: Ikelite | DSLR Lens Port Recommendations

Alex

Thank you for the link sharkbaitDAN!

So I found out that the canon 24-105mm lens diameter is too large to operate in port system.

Could you suggest me some lenses that are compatible with the port system and that can give you some flexibility to use underwater (wide angle and zoom?)

My question is, when you're underwater you obviously cannot switch from a wide angle to a zoom or macro so I wanted to know if there's some lens that can cover this two aspects?

Oh and the lenses have to be for FF

If I were shooting 6D, I'd be using the 8-15 fisheye and one of the 100mm macro lenses. My first choice for a zoom would be the 16-35 II, but that won't fit, so I'd choose the 17-40, but I doubt I'd use it as much as the 8-15. I don't shoot all purpose lenses underwater because I don't think they do anything well. You have to choose whether to shoot an all-purpose lens behind either a dome or flat port, and whichever one you choose, you will compromise one end of the range or the other. There are some people that like them and shoot them, just not me, so I can't give much advice on that type of lens.

For context, the only two lenses I use for my 7D are the Tokina 10-17 fisheye and the 100mm f2.8 USM macro.

Your profile indicates you are a relatively inexperienced diver, so I would recommend being absolutely comfortable underwater before using a camera, especially an SLR. I've taught photo classes where I spent 75% of the dive time just working on buoyancy because it was not good enough to maintain a stable platform. I'd also seriously look at high-end point and shoot cameras because they are much simpler to use (and for the price of the SLR housing, ports and lenses, you can get a really good compact system than includes the camera, strobes and a focus light). A great camera does not make a great underwater photographer, and a great photographer can take good photos with any camera they are handed. When I sold housings, I told people that an SLR system was going to cost a minimum of $5000, and I haven't seen anything that would change that.

Thank you again for the help!

I've already done underwater videography with a GoPro and I use a DSLR for my non-underwater videos so I know how to use the DSLR.

And the thing is that I'm planning to upgrade my DSLR to the 6D that's why I was thinking about using it for underwater.

If I'm going to invest in underwater equipment I want to be able to do some nice videos, with a cinematic feel, that why I think the 6D would be good for it right?

But still can you give me an example of a good point-and-shoot camera for underwater videography?

Thanks a lot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom