HMS Repulse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From www.TechThailand.com

We have attached a short video of the ongoing salvage work on the HMS Repulse.
Since May this year they have removed all the prop shafts, gained access into the condenser room by blowing of the sea suction gratings dropping explosives into the suction pipes and blowing the bottom out of the ship.
Despite an article that was published by the Star online earlier this year detailing the impounding of... the Hai Wei Gong 889 the destruction and stripping out of a wreck classified as a war grave continues.
Sea salvage work halted - Nation | The Star Online
green.gif

Three times this year we have turned up at the Repulse and POW early in the morning only to scare off what looks like a fishing boat, these are actually the guys that are placing the charges and blowing the ships apart. When we dive the POW they run back to the Repulse and continue the destruction, on almost every dive we can hear the explosions which are only 8 miles away.

What can we do to stop this raping of a war grave?

…What can we do to stop this raping of a war grave?

Sadly not much — short of mooring a warship above her 24/7. Theft of copper increases everywhere with the price of the metal. Some fool stole a brass valve off an above-ground storage tank of toluene and let it drain in into San Francisco Bay a few years ago.

That's a darn shame. I am all for artifact salvaging, but a war grave is where the line is drawn for me.

If I recall the Repulse lies in international waters, enforcing the British-Australian laws are impossible to do unfourtantly. International law is only as powerful as people are willing to enforce it. Being in a high tension area, the navy would have a difficult time patrolling the area and scaring of looters.

I take it the Prince of Wales is suffering the same fate?

That's a darn shame. I am all for artifact salvaging, but a war grave is where the line is drawn for me.

If I recall the Repulse lies in international waters, enforcing the British-Australian laws are impossible to do unfourtantly. International law is only as powerful as people are willing to enforce it. Being in a high tension area, the navy would have a difficult time patrolling the area and scaring of looters.

I take it the Prince of Wales is suffering the same fate?

I don't think so at this stage. Being a deeper dive its more dangerous to them so at the moment they may be leaving it alone. Once Repulse is raped fully Iam sure they will work the POW over. Personally I hope they get badly bent, but in saying that I am sure that would not stop them at all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom