Cavern dives in FL. for newly Certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmokeAire

Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any good books or web sites that lists cavern dives, for certified cavern divers, in FL. besides Underwater Florida? Maybe listing depths,distance,viz and perhaps a map.

Or if any SB'r can share their knowledge. Planning on the Peacock Spring area, Ginnie (again of course), Troy. More in depth info on these and other springs suitable for cavern diving would be a big help.
Need the practice and experience before I move onto Intro to Cave.

I think it would be a big help for us newbies to the sport.
Thanks.

Chuck

yeah, visit my site and you'll see a list of just that (Guides/Cavern Sites)

also, i have links there you can use. i haven't been
to Peacock but understand there are a few good cavern dives there. Troy i understand is rather shallow. Ginnie has two
great cavern dives, the Ballroom and Devil's Ear.

(shameless plug aobut my site but i dont' sell anything :bounce:)

and here is a wonderful resource for info as to
Fla. caverns and caves:

http://www.floridacaves.com/

Just checked out your site...nice....downloaded the map. Good resource.

Now where to go dive?

Chuck

SmokeAire:
Are there any good books or web sites that lists cavern dives, for certified cavern divers, in FL. besides Underwater Florida?

pssst.... check out what he said

H2Andy:
pssst.... check out what he said
Dang, I better read for content!

Roak

Cave Divers Forum,
www.safecavediving.com,
NACD has links,
Florida Caves
Just type away and You'll find them

roakey:
Dang, I better read for content!

Roak

Which I did in rereading DeLoach's book. Before, I read it looking for only ocean dives and easy spring dives. But last night I looked at it with the cavern divers eye. You are correct it is a good source.
Thanks for the reminder.

Chuck

Dove Troy and hit about 70 ffw, but it is an open spring/spring run dive. Great dive for open water, clear water and interesting dive in the run to see the civil war wreck and some big fish where the spring run meets the river, you can practice your modified flutter and shuttle kicks in the very shallow run, but the cave is small and high flow (at least when I was there). Get there first thing in the morning before the classes show up and destroy the vis. I don't think they allow cavern diving, and if they do I don't think it's a good choice for new divers.

Peacock I and Orange Grove are great cavern dives. Little River has a great cavern but haven't dove it yet. There are others but these are the ones I"ve dove or are familiar with.

I have been told that there are plans to put a grate over the entrance to the cave at Troy.
Will have to check out Little River. Thanks.

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom