Power Scuba Happenings (Oct 21, 2014)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Power Scuba

Supreme Benchwarmer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Folks,

WE STRIVE TO SUPPORT THE PEOPLE AND ORGS WHO SUPPORT US... in all things. Take this Saturday at La Jolla Shores for instance: Not only is Power Scuba having it's regular dive event... not only is OE having it's annual Pumpkin Carving Contest... but a who's who of local dive safety pros are coming together in Kellogg Park at the shores to offer information on diver safety and accident prevention as well as t-shirts, posters, and brochures. They'll have tents and tables set up near the flagpole. THAT'S a hell of a reason to come to the Shores this Saturday!

SPEAKING OF OUR SUPPORTERS:

1. Links to all our official sponsors are found on the left side of all the pages on our main site at Power Scuba. Check them out... or become one yourself!
  2. Northrop Grumman, a huge company with multiple sites here locally, just made a nice contribution to Power Scuba... because of the volunteerism of one of it's employees (me). I know many other local companies have similar programs. Check out the donation letter at the bottom of this message.
  3. I just scheduled a ton of boat dives with our friends at Pacific Star and Horizon. (Waterhorse local trips scheduled soon). We continue to remain grateful to them for their stated support of us and for believing in our non-profit way of doing things.

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT:
I'm close to cementing a schedule for our exotic Papua New Guinea trip next year. No event page yet, but I can tell you this: It'll be ~14 days, centered around the Labor Day holiday 2015, will offer ~8 diving days AND ~3 days of land travel to visit the various, unique hill tribes of the country. Will be fairly pricey, but as always, a non-profit trip. IF you're eager and your schedule is flexible enough (to not know the exact dates quite yet) lay down your $500 deposit with us via Paypal (payment to powerscuba1@gmail.com) and you're guaranteed a spot. We have ~20 people who've done that already. I don't need to tell most of you this will be an epic adventure!

CATALINA ISLAND TRIP: Two spots left for this 65 person party on Oct 31. Check out the event page HERE!

LA PAZ: 30 of us just got back from a fun, inexpensive trip to La Paz. Whalesharks, mobulas, hammerhead sharks, VERY friendly sea lions, and many more critters. 86 degree H2O temps, blazing sunny skies, and turquoise-blue water had us feeling very eager and excited. Pics should be popping up in the event page album any day now.

AS ALWAYS we have lots of shore dives for you as well as our Photo of the Month Album wherein you'll see high quality u/w pics taken by your fellow members.
Power Scuba... what a dive group OUGHT to be!

Bill

PS Safety Nugget: What's that you say? You just bought a backplate and wings to replace your old jacket-style BC? You love the fact that... now... you need no/little lead on your waist? It feels so lovely? Hold on a second cowboy/cowgirl. There are considerations you should be aware of. First and foremost: You no longer have ditch-able weight. One of the cornerstones of recreational diving is that, when (if) all else has gone to crap, you can ditch your weights and still have a decent chance at making the surface. Backplate and wetsuit? Not so much. ...Or did you think ditching that four or six pounds you may have kept for trim/false security will have any effect at 100 fsw? Do your due diligence before making a drastic gear configuration change. It can be done, but do it the right way, with training, research, and thought.

event_424028672.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom