Use of DPV while carrying big U/W Still Camera setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone here used a DPV to get to a dive location from shore while carrying a DSLR in a housing? How did you carry the camera while using the DPV to get to the dive location? Also, once you get there and don't need to use the DPV, what do you do with the DPV while you are taking pictures?

I dive from shore in an area where I have to swim several hundred meters from shore to get to the actual dive spot. I am wondering if I get a DPV to help in making the swim to the location easier, what would I do about carrying the camera setup while using the DPV and what to do with the DPV once I reach the location and not need the DPV.

(Owning or renting a boat aren't options where I live now due to many reasons including costs, logistics, availability, etc.)

how bad is the surf and currents out there? You can clip the camera off to your back crotch strap ring and then half squeeze it between your legs to keep it from bouncing around while you're towing yourself out there, and then assuming there isn't much current, you can just clip your scooter off to that same D-ring and just tow it around while you're taking pictures. They do hang neutral in the water.... Better idea is if there is really little to no current, you could bring a 4-6lb weight out there and leave it on the bottom assuming there is an open space to put it.

Camera clipped to L chest d-ring. Once at the site, dpv nose-clipped to right chest d-ring and pushed behind me to the right.

I do the same thing that TSandM described. My scooter is ever so slightly positive in salt water. When I clip it to my right chest D-ring and push it behind me, I effectively disappears. It's not in my way and I can't see it. I only know it's there when I kick and feel it as a bit of a tug on my harness.

While on the trigger, I hold my camera rig to my side with my left arm.

521fbd59d10ce31d197cea3e2c1a4336.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

If you have a really large DSLR setup, it is often easier to just mount it on the scooter. It also gives you the option to shoot video and when you need to snap off a quick picture before the subject swims off, you can just stop the scooter, grab the camera with the scooter still attached and shoot, instead of having to unclip it from your chest or butt D-rings.

If you have something like this, that is too big to clip to your chest due to the floats, tripod base and arms, mounting it to the scooter is your only option

Ian Cam rig.jpg

Ian 1500 w cam.jpg

Either mount the camera on the scooter or Use two appropriately sized bungycords to "stage" the camera ( Ie, keep it nice and tidy attached to my left shoulder/hip Drings) whilst under transport.

Scooter is turned off and nose clipped (Towcord pulled through nose carry strap) to front crotch strap D-ring and shoved between my legs.

Thank you all!!

I am in Libya on the southern coast of the Med. When there is "surf" or current, there is no diving here!!!

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2014 at 03:46 AM ----------

If you have a really large DSLR setup, it is often easier to just mount it on the scooter.

View attachment 196650

View attachment 196649

Are the mounts available in the market or do they have to be custom built?

My camera rig isn't as huge as the one you show in the pics. but it is a full setup including housing, two strobes and focus light.

Back
Top Bottom