NAUI Sidemount Reg Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktomlinson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know if NAUI has an official regulator configuration for sidemount, and if so what that configuration is?

I don't think anyone except UTD has an "official configuration" for sidemount as far as the training agencies go. The most common one is the Razor style/Edd style, with Razor having the SPG's down, and Edd putting them up like lollipops. Short hose left, around back of neck like normal in backmount, long hose right, down the tank then back up and across the body like in backmount. Swivels generally on both, but always the left bottle. It will be a few years yet before there is an official regulator configuration, and that is only because it is such a personal preference thing and is also to some extent rig specific that you will never get everyone to come to a standard.

Thanks, I have a personal configuration already, I heard naui had an official configuration, but couldn't find any information online.

In the years I've been side mounting I have changed my reg/hose routing configuration about 15 times(this includes minor tweaks). I still continue to change it up depending on the dive mission, who I'm diving with etc.. When discussing configuration with a new side mount diver I will recommend a configuration as a starting point but it most often gets changed up within the first few dives to suit personal styles and preferences, which is the beauty of side mount diving. To answer your question, I haven't seen a standard configuration from NAUI, of course that doesn't mean there isn't one.

In the years I've been side mounting I have changed my reg/hose routing configuration about 15 times(this includes minor tweaks). I still continue to change it up depending on the dive mission, who I'm diving with etc.. When discussing configuration with a new side mount diver I will recommend a configuration as a starting point but it most often gets changed up within the first few dives to suit personal styles and preferences, which is the beauty of side mount diving. To answer your question, I haven't seen a standard configuration from NAUI, of course that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Thank you!

NAUI has the NTEC configuration for back-mount and no standard for sidemount.. As others have said, sidemount is still very much a DIY. One day there will standards, but likely every agency will have a different standard, just like sidemount divers.

Last edited:
I'm hopeful that NAUI decides to forego the idea of a standard reg configuration for SM. One reason I dig NAUI is the educational freedom offered instructors over other agencies.

I'm hopeful that NAUI decides to forego the idea of a standard reg configuration for SM. One reason I dig NAUI is the educational freedom offered instructors over other agencies.

That freedom is slightly choked down on the tech side of the house, which is where side mount lies in the NAUI world. Honestly though I don't think NAUI cares too much about side mount configurations. As long as the team is configured the same, why would they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom