AVG depth on the fly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any links/anecdotes about how to go about figuring out your average depth on a dive on the fly?

BRad

I sort of build a profile graphic in my head. Three five minute checks at 60; three at 80, three at 40 . . . averages out at 60.

If you keep working at it, it becomes a gestalt, and surprisingly accurate.

I look at my cheap Mares Puck.

For what purpose? You can't use an average depth to calculate bottom time on an rdp table, right?

For what purpose?

I used the average depth during every dive as a DM, it's a very handy tool if you want to give your divers a full 60 minute dive, depending on their air consumption.

Last edited:
I sort of build a profile graphic in my head. Three five minute checks at 60; three at 80, three at 40 . . . averages out at 60. If you keep working at it, it becomes a gestalt, and surprisingly accurate.

Some dives I seem to be bang on, most times I'm off by an ATM or more ...

Any tricks in weighting the average in your head?

My Mares Icon gives me the running figure as well as a ton more stuff. If I sprung for the AI module it would spit out the running SAC. +1 for getting a dive computer that will show you the average depth on the fly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom