Planting Kelp forests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if it would be possible to grow kelp forests in different parts of the world where conditions are favorable? Has this ever been attempted? If yes, how long would it take for the kelp to grow to its full height?

Cheers -

CS

The question I pose: Is this a good idea to introduce a non-native alga like Macrocystis to other parts of the world even if it could grow fine there? Here where giant kelp forests are native they are being ecologically impacted by the introduced Sargassum horneri that arrived here during the winter of 2005-06. I'm pretty certain the Japanese did try some experiments top see if Macrocystis would grow in their waters.

The question I pose: Is this a good idea to introduce a non-native alga like Macrocystis to other parts of the world even if it could grow fine there? Here where giant kelp forests are native they are being ecologically impacted by the introduced Sargassum horneri that arrived here during the winter of 2005-06. I'm pretty certain the Japanese did try some experiments top see if Macrocystis would grow in their waters.

I know the answer: no, it is not a good idea. See Jurassic Park.

That's a great map. As per cold - it gets really cold here in New England where Laminaria rules + when I dove Alaska saw mostly Laminara, Nereocystis as well. Same for the UK (including Scotland :D ). A fair amount of Chondrus about. That souvenir candy they make out of it is just awful. On a very loose scale we were trying to grow some local gala - Fucus and Ulva - didn't work.

On a serious note - Monterey Bay Aquarium has been growing the stuff for years in their tanks. They certainly have location, setup, access and propagation seems easy as you let the spores come in naturally and grow under ideal conditions vs. a dedicated setup in a foreign environment.

It's not just kelp but vast eco-systems of animals that use it in one way or another. Kelp grows at incredible speeds and could be invasive without the rest of the system to go with it. What about animals that eat whatever the kelp crowds out? What about all the plants and animals that need the sunlight that the kelp blocks?

Last edited:
It's not just kelp but a vast eco-systems of animals that use it in one way or another. Kelp grows at incredible speeds and could be invasive without the rest of the system to go with it. What about animals that eat whatever the kelp crowds out? What about all the plants and animals that need the sunlight that the kelp blocks?

Precisely. We need to focus not on individual species (except for invasives and threatened native ones) but on the entire ecosystem. Some introductions can be relatively innocuous while others can wreak havoc with the native systems.

Back
Top Bottom