HP100 for side-mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been planning to get a pair of HP100s for side-mount diving, and originally wanted to dedicate Faber Stealth HP100s for that purpose, but my instructor recommended Worthingtons instead. After reading all the recent threads about Worthington closing the factory, not renewing the permit (and potentially soon making the tanks not eligible for hydro), XS Scuba as of 3 day ago not expecting any updates soon, and given the general unavailability of the tanks, I've been unsure of what the right move should be... Then, I realized that there are at least 2 types of Faber HP100s, of which the older ones used to be -7lbs negative when empty (the new ones are -0.6lbs, so basically neutral), which adds to my confusion, since whatever I may have heard or read about the suitability of Faber tanks for diving sidemount may or may not apply to the specific type of tanks that I've been looking at. So, has anyone had experience with the new Faber Stealth HP100s for sidemount, how do they stack up against LP85s and others? Below are the specs. I should add, I'm 6' 200lbs, and planning to dive them with HOG D3s, which are somewhat heavy as well and potentially add to the head-heaviness of the tanks. Thoughts?

In Sea Water with Valve: HP100
Service Pressure:3442 psi
Buoyancy *Full:- 8.41 lbs
Buoyancy * Empty:- 0.59 lbs
Weight Empty:34.0 lbs
Outside Diameter:7.25"
Length:25.3''
REE:86cc

I think the new ones get quite tail floaty as well. I'd keep looking for a used set of Worthingtons, or PST. I dive the X7-100s and they're great wet and dry.

Here's a guy selling Fabers, if you're interested: http://columbusga.craigslist.org/spo/4723240421.html

Reading the listing looks like he got them for SM. I'm not the seller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So the old fabers aren't something you have to worry about, I can honestly say I've never actually seen a medium pressure Faber tank in person. Obviously they exist somewhere, but I have never seen one nor have I ever heard about them other than "they exist", so don't know anyone who has or had them at any point in time. Should also mention the PST e7 and e8 series tanks do exist, I've actually seen those, but they are rather hard to find because of the limited run time they had, you are far more likely to fine the true HP100's.

The "HP" tanks are difficult because HP100 refers to one very specific tank, and that is the PST 100 with a service pressure of 3500 psi, all the others are E7-100's which are very different tanks. Even when PST stopped making the HP100's and went to E7-100's they changed
PST E7-1003442 PSI1007.2524.1233-1-8.5
PST 10035001027.2523.9434.1-1.3-8.8

Worthingt3442 PSI99.57.2522.733.1-2.5-10

Faber 1003442 PSI1007.2525.334-0.6-8.4
The XS ones are a different tank than the PST's, and the fabers are even more different, instead of shorter and more negative, they're quite a bit taller and less negative.

So, what does this all mean. Tank sizes don't mean jack in this country, even with LP85's, there is a huge difference between the old ones and the new ones in buoyancy from Faber *the new ones float, seriously, that's why DRiS doesn't sell the LP's, only the HP's. I would hold out and try to find the old PST tanks used, they are available and are wonderful little sidemount tanks. The LP85's are nice, but don't give you as much of a lead advantage in the cold which is why your instructor recommended the Worthingtons because they are quite heavy. I greatly prefer PST to Worthington, but that's just me, I also don't dive often in locations where I need any lead with my PST's.

Scuba Tanks - Steel 100's High Pressure
PST HP 100's, you can find a righty valve for them, $200 for the pair, not bad

Scuba gear
LP85's, bit expensive, but you can probably talk him down to $200 each since that's the going rate

Scuba gear and equipment
those look like LP95's which are also good for sidemount if you like shorter tanks, they're 8" diameters, but some people don't mind that. Lots of guys in the Marianna area dive 8" bottles.

2ea steel scuba tanks 108 cu ft
108's, bit longer and wider than the 100's but they balance really well for sidemount, this is one of the more common tanks sizes in the Marianna area for sidemount.

I dive PST HP120's or LP72's for most of my diving, I don't like 8" bottles so I don't own any. If I were you I'd see if I could get those PST100's I linked for $350, then you can find a set of lefty/righty valves for them and you'll be good to go.

I think the new ones get quite tail floaty as well. I'd keep looking for a used set of Worthingtons, or PST. I dive the X7-100s and they're great wet and dry.

Here's a guy selling Fabers, if you're interested: Two 100 CF Scuba Tanks Faber High Pressure Steel Tank DIN Valves Cave

Reading the listing looks like he got them for SM. I'm not the seller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

$1.00??? uhh, I think not. I wouldn't trust anyone who puts out ads like that. Or is it that Craigs list insists on a price? If so, then put your price..

doesn't require a price, but a lot of people filter out the ads without prices, so the $1 goes in as a best offer price more than anything. The other normal reason is if they have a bunch of stuff with a slew of different prices, but for that I'm not sure why he didn't list the price, no idea who it is, but they're also in Georgia, so not feasible for someone in Seattle...

I use the Faber FX 100's which have the same specs as the Faber Stealth. They're great sidemount tanks. Edd likes them, too.

I don't use a buttplate. If the tails float just clip them forward.

Thanks very much for all the replies. This may be a dumb question, but... if the issue is that the tank is 2lbs lighter overall, would that not be easily fixed simply by adding a small 2lbs weight on a cam band positioned somewhere towards the bottom of the tank? Among the reasons I am not in love with Worthingtons is the fact that they are 2.6 inches shorter, and if I ever want to reuse them for backmount, that is going to be an issue. Obviously, I am slightly biased on favor of Fabers, but I am not looking for justification, just want to understand all the options, and make an informed decision in the end.

It is common practise in some circles to add a weight to the cam band. Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but keep in mind with Sidemount that tanks are not part of your personal weight calculations. Hope it goes well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dive Worthington HP 100's with a Hollis SMS 75 and a drysuit. I run my cam bands very near the bottom of the tanks and they trim up great (I am 5' 9" with a long torso and short legs). I was very fortunate to have the tanks and harness when I did my sidemount course with Steve Lewis (Doppler) so I had his formidable expertise with my initial set up. I use no additional weights with this set up in fresh water.

I've been planning to get a pair of HP100s for side-mount diving, and originally wanted to dedicate Faber Stealth HP100s for that purpose, but my instructor recommended Worthingtons instead. After reading all the recent threads about Worthington closing the factory, not renewing the permit (and potentially soon making the tanks not eligible for hydro), XS Scuba as of 3 day ago not expecting any updates soon,
Traded a few emails with Julia Yontz the Customer Care Mgr for Worthington and she says they will renew the permit every 3 yrs indefinitely. This matches what someone on this board got from XS Scuba in June of this yr. Gonna be hard to find but if you find them keeping them in service should not be an issue. I just picked up a 2nd X-7 HP100 from my LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom