Rubbing coke bottles to attract sharks - Opinions / Experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oszillodrom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is your take on the use of plastic coke bottles (rubbing them, squeezing them) to produce sounds to attract sharks? Has anyone actually tried it, what are your experiences?

The dive shop I worked at in NE Borneo forbade it due to safety concerns, probably for good reason. I know that other dive shops in the area do it, and I have seen loads of sharks when we came to the same area after those guys. I must say I was very tempted to try it, but didn't out of concern for my divers.

Edit: After a quick Youtube search, it might not be a such a great idea (apart from diving to 57m on single 12L/Al80 tanks):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgclsxKrydI

Coke bottles are a little heavy, use those crappy water bottles instead. They work great. The shark doesn't stay, though. Unless you have something that interests it to keep it there.

There's another thread that fish were attracted to nitrox bubbles, but not air bubbles, they like expensive stuff I guess :wink:

---------- Post added November 16th, 2014 at 10:14 AM ----------

Is the bottle full of water to keep it from collapsing?

Yes. (bla bla to lengthen the message)

Yes, I have seen it attract sharks to varying degrees. Years ago,the owner of a live-aboard in the Coral Sea was badly bitten by a shark using this method of creating a feeding frenzy.

I have never done it. I would not want to be the one the the sharks thought were an injured easy meal. ( If you want the sharks to stay, get the dummy with the bottle to cut themselves:wink: )

I agree, starting a feeding frenzy is a bad idea.

BTW, which shop are you with in NE Borneo?

Try using Pepsi bottles instead of Coke... you may attract a new generation of sharks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom