Deck Lights for Night Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Question: What is the "ideal" deck lighting system on a dive boat for night diving? All suggestions are welcome.

I am a volunteer with the Monterey Bay Veterans working on their Lift to Freedom Project. The MV Freedom is in final outfitting to support disabled divers and the question of lighting the dive deck for night diving has come up. She is a 50' Pacifica Sportsfisherman with a dive deck about 12'/3.6M square. The hydraulically operated dive platform extends aft of the transom and moves between deck level and -4'/-1.9M. We are trying to offer disabled divers as many of the same experiences as able-bodied divers as can safely be accommodated.

Someone suggested low intensity red lights when launching divers and switching to bright white lights for diver recovery. The plan is to have a set of lights to illuminate the deck and a separate set pointing down to illuminate the platform. I don't have a feel if red lights are that desirable, though it is a standard procedure in the Navy for preparing for a night watch. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• freedomportsternSea.jpg
    freedomportsternSea.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 353
I don't really know but I think it would be annoying to have lights blasting me in the eyes as I'm surfacing or climbing the ladder, so positioning is probably important.

I also think you want people to be able to see well when they're setting up their gear so they can visually check, as well as physically, that things are configured, connected, on, etc.

Don't know what sort of lighting scheme best accommodates that though.

I don't really know but I think it would be annoying to have lights blasting me in the eyes as I'm surfacing or climbing the ladder, so positioning is probably important...

Point taken, but there is no ladder. That decision was made so all divers are treated the same... not that anyone would chose to climb the ladder instead of ride the lift. It was totally cool during phase-1 sea trials.

Divers have the option to stand or sit but the only way up is the lift. There are manual backup winches in case of hydraulics failure. This image shows the lift partially raised and the submersible wheelchair is not being used.

Attachments

• L2F Test Divers.jpg
    L2F Test Divers.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
I've done several liveaboards as well as night dives on the big Newton Dive boats and while I don't clearly remember the lighting positioning on all of them - none of it was red. I was on one boat that had under bench indirect lighting that shone down onto the deck also - I didn't look to see what it was.

This is a 46' Newton Dive boat - I'm pretty sure that's all the lighting that's focused on the dive deck:

Capture.jpg

You can see one in person in Ventura - Welcome to the Raptor Dive Charters Website located in Ventura Harbor, California

http://www.newtonboats.com/ They just list "Flood Lights" but would probably tell you what they use if asked.

I would think an optimal place also would be the top of that support structure on your lift. Maybe some sort of light shining down onto the lift. Although that will attract fish also.

Last edited:
What about a blue light when descending the lift

Don't know, red is the traditional color to get eyes adjusted to the dark. The talking "theory” is you don’t care much about maintaining night vision after surfacing from a night dive.

... I was on one boat once that had some sort of under bench indirect lighting that shone down onto the deck - I didn't look to see what it was...

That has been talked about. The gunnels on the Freedom drop down inboard about 7" and are almost that wide. There is plenty of unused space to tuck strings LED rope light in there, or brighter fixtures.

...This is a 46' Newton Dive boat - I'm pretty sure that's all the lighting that's focused on the dive deck:...

I think you are right; the skipper of the Freedom drove a Newton 42 dive boat in Monterey almost 20 years.

Edit:
... I would think an optimal place also would be the top of that support structure on your lift. Maybe some sort of light shining down onto the lift. Although that will attract fish also.

Would the light attracting fish be a bad thing? I guess it could get pretty crowed during the squid mating time in the bay.

In Turks/Caicos on the Explorer sharks fed on the smaller fish attracted by the lights at the back of the boat. It was pretty cool to watch from the deck. They all stayed near the other end of the boat when the divers were reboarding though. And we're talking 5-6' reef sharks so they were pretty timid.

What are these used for?

Capture2.JPG

In Turks/Caicos on the Explorer sharks fed on the smaller fish attracted by the lights at the back of the boat. It was pretty cool to watch from the deck...

I haven't heard of that being a problem on the Pacific coast but is worth considering.

... What are these used for?...

Ladder rungs. They are there for system checks and [-]in case[/-] when the hydraulics fail. A crewman has to climb up there to connect the manual winches that are normally rigged inboard to help with wheelchair transfers and dressing non-ambulatory divers. The hinged winch cover was off during the first sea trials along with miscellaneous resilient handles. Here are some computer renderings that might make it more clear:

These are higher res than the attachments.
http://mbv.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DDP-Up-Fwd-1-1024x819.jpg

http://mbv.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DDP-Down-1-819x1024.jpg

This one show the cross-section of the gunnels where lighting can be mounted. Also the manual winches rigged for normal operations (blue webbing with hanging D-rings).
http://mbv.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DDP-Up-Aft-1-1024x819.jpg

Attachments

• DDP Up - Fwd Source.jpg
    DDP Up - Fwd Source.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DDP Up - Aft Source.jpg
    DDP Up - Aft Source.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DDP Down -Source.jpg
    DDP Down -Source.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
i don't have anything to offer for your question, but have the utmost respect for what you are doing. Thank you for all you are doing, keep up the good work. best of luck and God bless..

i would not worry too much about a second separate set of red lights, unless you have money to burn. put that money to lighting the gear area better.

make sure the gear up deck is well lit with no deep shadows or dark corners so that there are no visibility issues for people putting their gear on.

once geared up, all you need is sufficient light for divers to make their way into the water. so much less light needed around the dive platform. shadows and dark corners are okay here.

the liveaboards i have been on use many multiple long floresent? lights over the gear area and only a few spot lights (2?) on the dive platform. the gear area can be considered "bright as day".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom