New to doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhuntley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Yesterday I invested in a set of doubles, Faber LP85s to be exact. The plan is to master them on recreational profiles before moving on to tech. I'm hoping to get them in the pool the next weekend. Looks like I'll be joining a course with a tech instructor in Jan, but I want to work out all the kinks before then. Any tips?
10390916_10205187278465480_839286021425246617_n.jpg

Learn and practice shutdown drills.

Look into to hogarthian hose routing. This is the de facto standard for doubles. Work on trim.

Think about an intro to tech class sooner rather than later so you can be presented with these skills and then practice them correctly while you are waiting to take a real tech class later.

They might try to make you head heavy, which will not be intuitive at all, because you'll be going head-up to compensate. If you're having issues with trim, consider trying a few pounds in a tail weight.

Last edited:
Skills, skills, skills....also get into a class asap before you develop bad habits. Good choice on that cylinder size, it's a nice general size to start out with.

make sure you have Jet Fins or something else that is negatively buoyant, will help. Adjust the manifold as low as you can go and still comfortably reach each valve and the crossbar, and you'll be fine. Valve shutdowns and S-drills aren't rocket science, but you should read up on them. There are some books and websites about gear configuration that help. First stages with fifth ports and rotating turrets help immensely for hose routing, but aren't needed if you don't have them. I go back and forth regularly between them and it doesn't bother me.

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

That will help some and shows you the basic two ways to route hoses, one with the non turret first stages flat, and the other with the turrets at angles. Depends on what you have for first stages, either is fine. I prefer flat which is shown with the Apeks DS4 first stages, the other one is a MK25 setup but can easily be done on any turret first stage, the MK25/S600 piston turret is just the GUE preferred first stage.

I prefer to route my drysuit down on the right post and have the only hose crossing my neck be my secondary. The inflator crossing stems from the rolloff potential of the left post, but I would rather lose my inflator than lose my drysuit, and with the inflator rolled off you are likely to notice far sooner than if you have it on your left post and the only duty your left post has is secondary and SPG. You're diving dry more than likely up there, so I'll assume you'll always have your drysuit, but even still, if you're wet, you're guaranteed to have to use the inflator on the left post, so I'd just rather know it rolled off, so that's the method to my madness. Obviously not the norm, and not DIR, but I don't really care, and do what works and makes sense for me.

Checkout the DIR videos on YouTube, watch them and practice the drills. Your rig looks good, can't see but add some 1/2 inch pieces to the webbing to hold your inflator, back up light, excess webbing etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats rh, nice set up :)

On one set of doubles I use I still wear a weight belt unless I have a backplate installed in particular when wearing my semi dry. You may also want to consider using something like an ankle weight attached to the bottom your doubles, and I would adjust your current set up as per the photo above to lower the tanks and therefore your c/g.

As others have mentioned, valve drills :D

Find a mentor/instructor to help you get going in the pool. I would also strongly suggest doing GUE Fundies class before even thinkin of any form of tech diving. The course will highlight any skills shortfalls you have and give you an better understanding where you should be going down the tech path.

Enjoy the twins and dive safe.

Back
Top Bottom