Advice Needed on Snorkeling and SNUBA in the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waverider58

Registered
Reaction score
My 9-year-old son and I are planning a trip to the Keys in December. He can't get his junior OW certification till next year. So we are limited to snorkeling and snuba. We're thinking about camping out in Key West. So my questions are:

1) Can anyone recommend any good camping locations on Key West? It doesn't necessarily have to be Key West; it can be on one of the other islands. I just thought Key West would be nice as we could also take the catamaran out to the Dry Tortugas. BTW I know we can camp on fort Jefferson but the days that are available to us will not fit into our schedule.

2) Since my son isn't certified yet, I thought about snuba. He's been taking lessons with the PADI Seal Team and SDI Scuba Rangers. So, he's a good swimmer and comfortable with a regulator in his mouth. Does anyone have any good recommendations for snuba and/or snorkeling tours on Key West or any of the other Keys?

3) We're thinking about loading our kayaks on the truck and taking them with us. However, I don't want to drag them along if the water is too choppy. I know that the winds can get pretty brisk down there this time of year. Any thoughts on that? We're planning our trip from December 19-24.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

There's a KOA campground on Sugarloaf Key, about 22 miles outside Key West, almost to Big Pine Key. I've stayed there a couple of times and like it - there's a bar, swimming pool, swimming 'beach', showers, laundry, small general store, restaurant across the street, and a marina with boat and kayak rentals. You can camp, bring an RV, or stay in one of theirs. There are also other places to camp all down through the keys.

There is some decent snorkeling within kayak distance of shore in a few places around there that I'm aware of (I've not looked much for such), but a small rental boat opens up more opportunities. I gather weather can often be a factor that time of year.

If you're in the Big Pine area, try Strike Zone, Looe Key Dive Center, and maybe Innerspace - I don't know for sure that they have snuba but they run popular snorkel trips.

Back
Top Bottom