Good dives for a Rec diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobaltbabe

Diva of the Deep
Reaction score
I am thinking of taking a little trip out east for a week and was wondering if anyone can suggest some good dives for both a rec diver and a tech diver. I will be bringing my SO. Any information would be appreciated. We are probably looking at PEI.

Hi Marie,

I've never been diving in PEI, I'm in NS, my wife and I have been meaning to head up for some diving, but there's lots to see here.
I'm told most of the shore dives are quite shallow with a sandy bottom. I don't know if you like to scrounge for bottles, but the Atlantic Diver Guide by David N. Barron lists an old ferry wharf in Charlottetown Harbour as a good bottle dive. The book itself is available in any dive shop down here, and most book stores, it lists shore and boat dives for the entire maritime region.
There is also the wreck of the HMCS Assiniboine at the eastern tip of PEI. I guess it got stuck on a sand bar after being sold for scrap in '47 or so, the prop and lots of other bits and pieces are still visible in the sand it seems. Also accessible from shore.
Sorry I don't have any personal experience to give you, but Black Dolphin Diving in Charlottetown comes highly recommended to me from my LDS owner here.
blackdolphindiving.ca should be them, if not, a search should turn them up

I've heard tales of a sunken u boat off the north coast of the island, but on research it seems that nobody is really too sure where it is... if anyone here knows anything.... speak up please. Apparently you have to get a good distance offshore to find more than 50 feet of depth in most spots.

Hope this helps a bit.... let me know if I can be any more help. Dive safe everyone...

chris

The U boat. There is actually a dive shop here and Ontario who is arranging a trip to it. I will check it out for you and get back to you with the information. :)

The only three u-boats that are in North America that are divable that I know of:

UC-97 is a WW1 boat in Lake Michigan in about 250' She was captured after the war and sunk as a target in an exercise.
U-869 is from WW2 and off of New Jersey in 240' This is the one called "U-who" from "the Last Dive".
U-352 is from WW2 and off of North Carolina and in 120'. IF I remember correctly - she was the first U-baot sank by the US in WW2. Ironically, the Coast Guard Cutter that sank her is also nearby on the bottom and diveable....

Sorry about that. I was mistaken.

Marie..

No biggie, I got a little excited when you mentioned the Ontario shop running a trip, I figured they must have found something I didn't know about. The owners of Black Dolphin looked into that u boat for a long time, but came back with nothing. It's listed in the Atlantic Guide, but I don't know where the author got his info from.
There is a WW1 era British sub, the L-26, that's diveable in St Margaret's Bay, NS, it was relocated while searchers were looking for the Swiss Air 111 wreckage. Apparently it was sunk intentionally as a sonar training target in the 40's. It's too deep for me right now, but when I'm ready I'll take a stab at it. There are charters out on a fairly regular basis for those who are trained for it, it's around 170fsw I believe.
There's an account of a dive to it on the mossman technical dive site, they're tech divers based out of Alberta...
http://www.mossmanscubaventures.com/reports.php?report=29&day=38

I hope that's right...

WW,

Thanks for the link, I was just looking for that info, I thought there were a few more U boats to dive on this side of the pond.

safe diving all...

chris

I recommend getting "The combined Atlantic diver guide: Newfoundland, & St. Pierre-Miquelon, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick
by David N Barron (Author)"

Quote: "I've heard tales of a sunken u boat off the north coast of the island, but on research it seems that nobody is really too sure where it is... if anyone here knows anything.... speak up please. Apparently you have to get a good distance offshore to find more than 50 feet of depth in most spots."

If you go to the EC_Divers site :

http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/EC_Divers

in the Narcosis News, volume 12, in the Files section, you'll find an article about the (supposed) U-Boat off of PEI. The article includes some background as to why people believe it's there. I haven't been able to find anyone who's actually done a dive on the thing though, although a couple of local fishermen claim to have the position and to have lost gear on it. Personally, after the research I've done on the subject, I think it unlikely that it's there. There is only one way to find out though, and that's go dive the fishermen's "hang" and see if it's the same boulder that the navy dove (the only target they could find that could possibly be large enough to be a u-boat).

Al.

Nice article Al... I've been meaning to read some of those newsletters, that was well done.

chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom