Best time of year for good visibility in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoyden

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We are getting ready to plan another trip to CoCo View and are looking for better visibility than we just had the first week of November. I was hoping to go back in the spring. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jackie

Last year we spent a couple of weeks on the island in May. The south side of the island was pretty much blown out the entire time we were there. Fortunately we were diving on the West End of the island and it was flat calm there. That was the second time conditions were far from perfect in May. The wind seems to kick up at times in May.

I would suggest mid-March to late April would be a great time. Alternatively, if you decide to go in the summer time, July has always been very good to me :D

May through August are the driest months statistically. In these months, there is a marked increase in breeding, hatching and shallow feeding- all activities are perfect to observe in the very shallow Southside environs that CCV sits with along the shore.

We have been to Coco View during every month of the year, but my wife discourages me from going in November. I did go (alone) in 2013 to do a lecture series during the Sea Horse Festival and the weather was dry and calm. Go figure.

If there is rain, there is going to be siltation from the run-off. In the area specific to CCV, if you dive the area to the East of the Easternmost Red Nav Can, the viz is usually fine. You have to escape the effects of the artificial beach that Fantasy Island created. It was a poorly executed, bad plan.

I've found the best time is in Spring------Example: one year, maybe ?'00, or close to it, we were diving the El Aguila & could read the name of the dive boat overhead while we were on the sandy bottom(think our son was videoing @ ~ 110ft if I remember correctly)...On this particular one, we were diving with AKR where our son was working @ the time-- in the photoshop...He was videoing the dive for AKR & told me right after the dive how clear it was--even for him(he had not often been able to read AKRs name etc in the past)........Now saying this, a tongue of cool water had come in for a couple weeks & the water temp was about 78'ish that week we were there.......So 'cold', all the DMs etc were wearing 2 wetsuits due to the water temps.........

rainy season is oct-jan. the further from then, the better the vis. june-september is pretty much perfect vis (100'+) and warm as a bath (86f).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom