Good place for both beginners and non-divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tanyaden

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

My husband and son just got their OWD certification. My husband's 50th birthday is coming, and I would like to organize a nice trip as a gift for him. I did a bit of research, but have to admit that I'm lost... :depressed:
So many places to choose from, but it's hard to find the one suitable for all of us. That's why I'm asking for your help.

Here's what I would like to combine:

1. As really new divers they need some shallow (up to 50 ft?) easy reef with colorful corals/fish. No strong current, no walls (is it the right name?), really easy-lazy dive...
2. They won't do more than 1 dive a day, maximum 2, so the sleep&dive packages are not the best idea
3. Ideally - shore dives, no long boat rides required
4. They don't have their own equipment yet, so we need a place where they can rent
5. Accommodations - nothing fancy. All inclusive would be ideal (at least for me, so I don't need to cook), but an apartment with a kitchen and nearby grocery store is ok too.
6. Something to do other than diving. Nice walk on the beack and/or snorkeling for me would be an additional bonus :wink:

I see that people recommend Bonaire, Curacao, Caynam Brac... But all those places are reviewed by people who dive a lot. I want some place where my husband and son can dive once a day, and then enjoy the rest of the day above the water.

We like vacations in Cuba, but I'm not sure it's very good place for diving. Or maybe I'm wrong?

All your recommendations are really appreciated!

P.S. Add Cozumel to the list of recommended places. Is it better than Bonaire?

P.P.S The only concern I have about Cozumel that it might be crowded, especially during March break. Is it the case? Where do you recommend staying to avoid crowd?

Last edited:
So jealous that you get to go to Cuba! Never been, hopefully one day....

Honestly, I think Curacao most closely fits your description and it is very beautiful, BUT, have you thought about Belize? I am not a Belize expert, but if you are willing to compromise on the shore diving, there is ALOT to do there besides diving and there is some really nice diving and snorkeling there, shallow as well, there can be current, but the right op will know where to take beginners. Then you can combine and do ruins or cave tubing, too. Maybe do Caye Caulker for a few days for diving and snorkeling and then go inland to Jungle/Ruins. Or try Placencia for the whole time? Belize experts would have more specific advice.

I wouldn't recommend Bonaire for non-divers or divers who want 1-2 dives per day. The saying goes, "Bonaire is where divers vacation, and Curacao is where vactioners dive" I personally love Grand Cayman (haven't been to Brac), but its pricey for the dive quality. Cozumel is deeper drift diving and you can find an op that caters to beginners, but I would think with new divers and non-divers you would be better suited to going to the Riveria Maya even thought the diving is not as good as Cozumel.

It also highly depends on what the non divers want to do, or what the divers want to do when not diving. If its beautiful beaches and relaxation, Curacao. If its adventure and snorkeling, Belize.

Thanks diverjen!

I'll definitely check Belize. The only thing I know about it is that there's Blue Hole somewhere there :)

We're not very active family, but not the poolside type as well. I don't know how much energy my divers will have after their dive - probably not much, especially at the beginning. That's why I was thinking about all-inclusive - they can relax after the dive, and then spend the afternoon doing something less intensive like snorkeling, bike trips, etc.

Cuba is a really nice place. Actually, that's where their diving experience started - after they've seen the underwater world... Cayo Coco has interesting reef, but it's not a place for snorkeling, unfortunately. At least not from the shore...

I'll also have to check the flight schedule, as some trips take about 24 hrs from Canada. Not good if you have only a week...

Oh flights, its crazy how that really makes a difference, but it does!

We snorkeled for about 10 years before getting certified so I can definitely understand that all places good for diving are not necessarily good for snorkeling. Belize had much better quality snorkeling than Curacao, but it would be easier to snorkel from shore with your divers in Curacao. Pretty sure there is a Curacao AI that would work and of course Coz and Riveria Maya are very setup with AIs. I am sure there are AIs in Belize but I don't know specifics as there are many locations and choices throughout Belize.

Would love to here what others say about the Brac for a diver/non-diver combo trip.

What part of Canada are you from? We went to Banff for our honeymoon and loved it! We think Colorado has mountains, but nothing like Banff!

The Blue Hole is a very deep dive that generates a lot of controversy on the forum.

If you do a boat diving destination, be mindful that most boat trips tend to be 2 tank trips. Which can still leave plenty of day left for other things. Of course, I'm wondering what the odds are they will only want to do one dive/day.

Shore dive destinations in the Caribbean are a fairly short list; Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman, you mentioned Cayman Brac, St. Croix all come to mind. And only Bonaire and Curacao seems to call to the 'All I Want Is Shore Diving' crowd. Be aware that a lot of people who just finished OW training will not feel comfortable doing shore dives in a strange place with no guide, just a similarly trained newbie buddy. I think you guys need to aim for boat diving for now, or guided shore diving.

I suspect by 'wall' diving you mean deep vertical walls with no visible bottom, plummeting into the abyss. The term 'wall' is used more broadly than that, and the large majority of dives I've done had a hard bottom somewhere visible below.

Shallow diving makes me think of Key Largo, and Rainbow Reef Dive Center includes guides, so the shallow reef diving would be sweet. I went in September; I don't know the conditions in May. Key Largo wasn't a sandy beach kind of place, but if you're up for some road trips, attractions in Miami aren't all that far away. Stay at the Courtyard Marriott & RRDC is at the end of the parking lot. The Florida Keys are not a shore diving destination, though.

St. Thomas has some shallow diving, sandy beaches, and I've heard of shore diving there but don't know much at all about it. It's seen as a shopping center of the Caribbean; popular with cruise ship stops. I had a fine time with Admiralty Dive Center there; people also speak well of Red Hook, I believe.

If you really want shore diving in St. Croix, I believe you'll be looking at Cane Bay Dive Center.

Cozumel isn't known for shore diving, but I'm told you can do some from Scuba Club Cozumel or Hotel Cozumel, which are close to each other. But the glory of Cozumel is in the boat diving. Hard to imagine going there just to shore dive.

The Sept. 2011 Undercurrent has an article on Hightide Watersports and Gibbs Bay Inn in Barbados, a location pitched as a good destination for a family vacation that also has good diving. By boat.

Richard.

We live in Montreal for the last 20 years. That's why Cuba was our main vacation place - only 4 hours direct flight, nice, warm and cheap! And warm. And WARM!!! Especially in the middle of our winter!

Banff is in our list too, just have to find time. Maybe when we retire... :)

But this trip is really for my husband, so my preferences for snorkeling are not important. I just want him to enjoy this trip at 200%.
I'll take a look at both Belize and Curacao. And travel time to both places too...

Thanks again!

Take a look at Hawaii (Maui or the Big Island). Might be a long trip depending on where you are but in my opinion it beats anywhere in the Carribean for topside activities. I go every year and it's worth the trek.

Plenty of shallow, no current shore diving options as well. No all inclusives but getting a condo is pretty cheap.

Oh, I guess you're right Richard. I just didn't think about a guide. But definitely newbies would need him. As I said I'm not a diver myself, so I just didn't think about it.

Well, scratch the shore dive then. What's left in the requirements is an easy relatively shallow dive with no or light current, and some snorkeling for me while they dive. I guess I would need to research all those places again. I still have time, the trip will be in March.
The only reason I'm looking for Al is because I'm just trying to skip organization part. In Al everything is done for you - flight, hotel, transfer, food... Probably I should look at it myself, especially if I want to find a good place for everyone.

I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to build a nice trip with all your help. Thank you guys very much!

By the way, here's a link to another thread on dive destinations with a non-diver.

While snorkeling and diving sound compatible, be mindful that most tourist scuba dives are deeper, tending to run in the 30 - 60' range, some deeper, and a snorkeler can be flying high over the action in such a scenario. I'm not saying it can't be done. It might be more practical to snorkel at a different time & place from their dives.

A.I. isn't necessary if there are plenty of good area restaurants. It's true A.I. is convenient, but what if you get there and don't like the food, but have already paid for it? Also, in an exotic destination you're new to, you might want to get out & sight see a little bit.

Richard.

P.S.: Quite natural that you guys will have to work out some 'growing pains,' bugs, whatever you care to call them, as you establish an activity workflow for a trip that's new to you. When the boat leaves, when it gets back, whether you should go on the boat or just shop locally or hit the beach or pool till they get back, etc...

Oh the old shore diving for new divers discussion....

I will also add in that it is easy to hire DMs for the first couple of shore dives in any of the shore diving locations. Check out the dive bus on curaçao too. Also boat diving is readily available so you could easily do both in any of the shore diving locations. My first dive trip ever was Bonaire and it was no problem, in fact I find shore diving way less nerve wracking.

Also being the wife and having been on several family trips I can understand wanting to go AI, with just me and hubs I wouldn't but it's much easier and relaxing with kids involved to just go AI with more built in stuff. I would look for the family friendly AI in Curacao, used to be Breezes is now maybe called Sunscape.

Maybe folks will have specific AIs to look at in Belize, but I bet Curacao is a shorter flight for you.

Secondhand from multiple friends and family my impression is that Hawaii is a great location for topside but if the priority is diving I'd still lean towards the Caribbean. Plus I assume the flights from Montreal would be long....

richard, curious for myself....
How long are the boat rides in the Keys? Any family friendly AIs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom