RG2000 Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
a follow up on my earlier thread.

for my intro to cave class, i am thinking of getting an RG2000 (Dive Rite) for about $400. a few questions:

is this a good reg for cavern/cave diving?

if yes, is $400.00 a good price?

are there other regs you'd reccomend?

as always, thanks in advance for your imput.

I don't know about using it for 'cave', but I couldn't imagine there should be a problem with using it. I have one of the RG2000 (1205 1st and 2010 2nd) regs with the 1210 back-up set up in long hose configuration and this reg breathes just as well as my Scubapro MK25TA/S600/R380 reg setup. I have had it down to 140' and didn't notice any appreciable change in the way it breathed at shallower depths.

BTW I paid $505 for my setup, so for just the first and second stage that sounds about right.

Don't know what the current exchange rate is, but I got my Apeks DS4s (forgot the second stage designation) from simply scuba for about $250-$300 a set.

Roak

http://www.simplyscuba.com/

very good to know... thanks

you know, i just asked around, and the local reg repair guy at a dive shop
assures me that the Sea Elite Tech (put out by the Diver's Supply chain of stores)
is the same as the Dive Rite RG2000.

except, of course, the Sea Elite Tech is half the price.

anyone know anything about this?

I would stay away from no name regs- It maybe the same or it may be different- how much is your life worth...

H2Andy:
you know, i just asked around, and the local reg repair guy at a dive shop
assures me that the Sea Elite Tech (put out by the Diver's Supply chain of stores)
is the same as the Dive Rite RG2000.

except, of course, the Sea Elite Tech is half the price.

anyone know anything about this?

The Dive Rite reg is made by a company in Taiwan. They will put your name on a reg if you want. This company makes regs for a few different distributors. Personally, I dont like them. They are a mickey mouse reg, inferior components, inferior plastics, shoddy construction.

This is, of course, MHO. I prefer the Apeks regs, and I have YET to find a reg that even comes close to the construction, durability, and attention to detail than the Apeks. If I was looking a piston reg, I would say Scubapro comes close...

Apex puts other companies logos on their regs too. But why buy them- What you will save 10 bucks--- I would rather buy the real deal- that way I know what I am getting.
If for example you were to buy a Tec50d from Zeagle- Now Apex used to make it but it stoped now anther company is making it or whatever name they call it now - It looks the same on the outside - but when you tear it apart it is totally different.

JPBECK:
Apex puts other companies logos on their regs too. But why buy them- What you will save 10 bucks--- I would rather buy the real deal- that way I know what I am getting.
If for example you were to buy a Tec50d from Zeagle- Now Apex used to make it but it stoped now anther company is making it or whatever name they call it now - It looks the same on the outside - but when you tear it apart it is totally different.

Actually, the true story is a little different. A few years ago (before 1998, IIRC) Apeks regs were sold in the USA thru Zeagle, with a Zeagle sticker on them. They were Apeks regs. Then, SQ got the Apeks regs, and distributed them in the USA under the APeks names.

THose newer Zeagle regs are not Apeks. Apeks is NOT in a habit of making regs for other companies. The Zeagle incident is the ONLY situation I know of, and that ended over five years ago...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom