Winter Storage / Long Term Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a Hammerhead Hi-Bred used - my question is how do you store your gun for long term storage?
HammerHead Spearguns | Evolution2 HI-Bred Spearguns
It did not come with a user guide and I cant find any online...

So obviously I leave the bands loose - I have heard you can put them in a refrigerator but my basement is dry and fairly cool - I am assuming that is fine.
There is a nylon shock cord that wraps around the shaft to keep it on the barrel - should I store the gun with this released or in position? It shows a little kink where it wraps around the metal keepers - so I have the shaft off the gun and the cord loose - is this appropriate?

So the question is if I am storing for 5 to 6 months all components should be relaxed and separated?
Thanks

I have a JBL breakdown travel gun that only gets used once a year on overseas vacations. My every week diving gun is a Koah. Here's what I do for the JBL

Remove the bands and either vacuum seal them or atleast bag them and remove as much air as possible. Sinking the loaded baggie in a hot water filled kitchen sink with just the last corner above water before sealing works great and as the bag cools, the remaining air shrinks. Latex breaks down in air and ozone (next to refrig/AC units). Never oil the bands, not even armour all. If your shock cord or shaft line has latex, bag it also.

The shaft needs to be coated. If you want to go cheap, use 3 in 1 mineral oil which long term will attract dust and that leads to rust. If you want to do it right get Boeing’s BoeShield T-9 which will dry to a wax like feel and is available at West Marine/Amazon. Don't use WD40 since it's water based and will rust. Store the shaft outside of the gun, not loaded because of possible dis-similar metal contact with the trigger mech and it won't stretch the springs in the mech when it's loaded long term.

Nothing needs to be done to the trigger other than making sure it's dry, so don't oil it. I don't know what the humidity is like where you live, but if the gun is clear coated and not weathered it will be fine. If all the clear coat is gone and you live in a very arrid location, you should re-seal or oil the wood. Otherwise leave it alone. Lastly keep it in as cool & dark a place as possible (closet) since florescent lights, sunlight and temp extremes stress the components. Next dive season, you should be good to go.

Thanks. Did not think about the shaft. I will work on this weekend - need to buy a few things now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom