Pure Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was first certified in '91 and just recently got NAUI Master cert. I just don't get the need to go deeper or increase risk. I love just being in the 80' and above underwater marine environment. Seems like I'm alone in that perspective. :confused:

---------- Post added December 8th, 2014 at 05:02 PM ----------

Sorry, if not clear, my reference was to Tech diving vs Rec diving.

No, I don't think you are alone. That has been expressed here many times.

But to each their own...

I don't get rock climbing either, but I know many people really do.

You may be a minority among the more vocal SB participants, but no way are you "alone" in the general population of divers. I think plenty of divers recognize that the stuff they want to see is all well within the range that the major agencies consider "not deep." I think coral reefs are the bomb and am more than content with them. There.

I was first certified in '91 and just recently got NAUI Master cert. I just don't get the need to go deeper or increase risk. I love just being in the 80' and above underwater marine environment. Seems like I'm alone in that perspective. :confused:

---------- Post added December 8th, 2014 at 05:02 PM ----------

Sorry, if not clear, my reference was to Tech diving vs Rec diving.

I don't understand this post. I would guess that 95% of divers are rec divers only. Are you trying to pick a fight?

You are not alone. The best diving is within the first 33', you have more light, better visibility and over 90% of the life in the ocean lives within the first 33'. I have been to almost 700' and there is very little to see down there except what you are working on that day. I have dove on ship wrecks to salvage them but never recreationally. Diving shallow I do not need much equipment either including a BCD. For me it is just more laid back and relaxing. The rest just seems too much like work for me to be bothered with. Been there, done that and I do not see much reason to go back.

I don't get the purpose of this post either, maybe I'm narced

I am guessing he is talking about the current culture of sport diving. Everyone pushes more training and more equipment but most of these people are also the people who sell the training and equipment, the rest do not know any better because that is all they hear for the most part.

The way I see it, if you're happy blowing bubbles it doesn't matter if it's at 30 feet or 300 feet. Personally, I'm just as content at 25 feet with an AL80 on my back as I am deep into a cave. Diving should be enjoyable.

I'm rec. only. It would be nice to be able to go that little bit deeper for some dives, like if I ever make it out to the Oriskany, but my desires aren't sufficient to warrant the training & gear investment. So far, anyway.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom