How's diving in cuba ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, need infos bout best places to dive in cuba and is from march to april any good ? Is it usually a cheap country to be in ? Is cuba really a recommended place to dive in as I read on many sites that diving is amazing, true or not so true ?
Thanks for infos !

The diving in Cuba isn't bad. You won't find typical vacation divers. There aren't many Americans (some fly to Canada or Mexico then fly to Cuba; US government doesn't allow flights from US to Cuba). Because of embargoes from US, it is hard to get things like soap, shampoo, conditioner, toilet paper, etc. So I usually bring these things unopened. Then I put them in a paper bag with a note saying they are a tip to the hotel staff. Giving $5 of soap is worth a LOT more than $5 cash because it is hard to get good soap. Bring some toiletries for yourself. It is generally inexpensive. I did find they tend to over cook the food. So if you like fish and meat you want to force them to not over cook things.

There is some diving on the north shore. There is a peninsula called Varadero. This is where all the touristy resorts are. The diving here is okay but nothing great.

There is better diving on the south shore. There is a point directly north of Jamaica and west of Guantanamo Bay. Dive shop I worked at likes to go to Club Amigo Marea del Portillo resort. If you google for this you will find Trip Advisor reviews. I think Sunwing Vacations are the only people who fly there. You can fly to Toronto (YYZ) and then catch a Sunwing flight to Cuba from there. Unless there is a flight from Europe direct to Cuba.

Thanks for the infos, very useful !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veradero isn't the best Cuba has to offer but it's better than a freezing murky lake. However, Cayo largo, a smaller island but still Cuba, has excellent dives. I was pleasantly surprised as it co paired favourably to many other carribean dives I've done. Good reefs and lots of life......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

there are americans coming yet. good diving, clear water and some good wrecks.

---------- Post added January 5th, 2015 at 12:27 PM ----------

All Scuba Diving Trips, courses, packages and snorekling trips includes:
-All the equipment.
-Private pick up and transportation.
-private guidance/instructions by an experiences Instructor.

(Beginners)
-Discovery diving Coral Beach 70cuc.
( theory lesson, shalow water practice, real dive at a max depth of 12)

-Discovery diving Bay of Pigs 90cuc.

( theory lesson, shalow water practice, real dive at a max depth of 12)

[h=3] [/h]

[h=3]Certified Scuba Diver:[/h] Bring your own equipment and get 10% off.

-2 Dives Coral Beach 70cuc/80usd
-2 Dives Bay of Pigs 90cuc/105usd

-2 Dives Bacunayagua 78cuc/87usd

-1 Bay of Pigs dive + 1 Cave dive 110cuc/126usd

-Nigth Dive 60cuc/68usd
4 Dives in 2days = 160cuc/184usd
-Two dives at the Coral Beach (Varadero)
-Two dives at the Bay of Pigs (Caribbean Sea)

6 Dives in 3 days = 220cuc/252usd
-Two dives at the Bay of Pigs. Dive site: Cenote (Caribbean Sea)
-Two dives at theBacunayagua reef.

8 Dives in 4 days = 290cuc/333usd
-Two dives at the Bacunayagua reef
-Two dives at the Bay of Pigs. Dive site: Perdize (Caribbean Sea)

10 Dives in 5 days =365cuc/418usd
-Two dives at the Bay of Pigs. Dive site: Tanke (Caribbean Sea)
-Two dives at the Bay of Pigs. Dive site: Perdize (Caribbean Sea)
-Two dives at Bacunayagua.

Just got back from Cayo Largo. Planed our first dive trip with my newly certified 12yo son. Figured a nice calm 20ft deep reef would be awesome for him to cut his teeth on and he was soooo excited to fly to Cuba and do a dive trip with Dad. Cuba is anti-American hence anti PADI and you can imagine his disappointment when we were told the Cuban law prohibits anyone under 15 from diving. His Padi card means nothing. We were already there so it was to late to change destinations. Could have been a trip to Mexico or Florida just as easy if we knew. So a big thumbs down for Cuba from us.

Back
Top Bottom