Maldives, when to go and liveaboard recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FTD 83

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a liveaboard in the Maldives, maybe around March to May. Wanting this to be a trip of a life time so are these particularly good or bad months? If not, what are the best months for viz and weather in the Maldives.

Any liveaboard recommendations and what are the seas like? I've never done a liveaboard before and do get seasick if it's choppy on day boats.

Generally, November to March is the best time to go diving in the Maldives. Skies are mostly clear, water warm as always and visibility good. From mid-April the monsoon rains start and can be quite heavy at times affecting visibility and occasionally prompting change of dive plans or even a cancellation.
The seas can be calm or slightly active in the season months but you have to remember that currents are almost always present in the Maldives and can be strong. The allow - even encourage - reef hooks on certain dives. Depending on where you live taking regular cinnarizine (UK & Europe) or Dramamine (USA) will take care of sea-sickness.

There are at least 10 livebaoard boats in the Maldives, maybe more. Most are good but it would be better to go with one of the more reputable companies, even though it might mean a little more money. Liveabaord diving is great and once you have done it, you might get hooked - like I did 18 liveaboards ago.

I'm looking at doing a liveaboard in the Maldives, maybe around March to May. Wanting this to be a trip of a life time so are these particularly good or bad months? If not, what are the best months for viz and weather in the Maldives.

Any liveaboard recommendations and what are the seas like? I've never done a liveaboard before and do get seasick if it's choppy on day boats.

We did Honors Legacy last March…weather was very very hot…but it was very choppy sometimes…I never get sick on boats so was ok….alot of the 10 day trip you couldn't swim off the back of the boat because of the very strong currents…two or three nights we were tossed around a bit at night time so didn't get much sleep!….diving was super but wouldn't recommend the boat.

I went on MV Sea Spirit, which I see is still doing the same rounds. Nice, comfortable boat and a good crew. But if the same Brit husband-wife team are the divemasters (cannot recall their names), some might have problems. The woman was the guide to my group and I felt that she was rather judgemental and biased in her attitude towards the guests; her husband seemed all right.

Hello.
If you are planning the trip of your life on Maldives, I can recommend you in March or April. It's high season and the weather, currents, visibility, underwater world should be good. Early May can be also good but there is some risk of bad weather (wind + rain). I live on Maldives since 2006 and it is my experience, but as you know all change in this world =).
I will be happy to advise you LOB, just let me know what level of service you expect? Budget, Standard, Deluxe?

I went on MV Leo Welcome Aboard MV Leo in October. Fantastic boat. I would definitely recommend it. Oli and Tina are very experienced divers who put safety first. The boat is very comfortable and the food is good. The weather was problematic for us in October and did cause us to delay a major crossing which reduced our time spent in whale shark territory (we never saw one). I have previously been in April and had no issues with the weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom