I have some questions I would like fielded please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPBECK

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok - First off I am a Ca Diver-
No real caves here- Lots of Wrecks- No caves

I want to dive some caves...
Where should I take the classes- Mexico or Florida where are the best DIR type training offered...
My thoughts are if I get the training where the conditions are a bit more demanding I could handle problems a bit better...

Does my advanced Penitration Wreck Cert count towards anything relating to cave training?

How long should I plan on staying to do the FULL training-
Longer the better... But how long?

Any help would be nice- Please no reccomenations with Instructors that are not DIR... :cheeky:

There's DIR instruction available in bothe Fl and Mexico. I don't know who is "best".

I don't think you'll get credit for the wreck training though it might make things easier.

You might want to check up on the GUE prereqs if you don't already have some GUE training too.

JPBECK:
Where should I take the classes- Mexico or Florida where are the best DIR type training offered...
My thoughts are if I get the training where the conditions are a bit more demanding I could handle problems a bit better...

Does my advanced Penitration Wreck Cert count towards anything relating to cave training?

I've heard good things about Riordan for Cave 1 in the Yucatan, and I believe they've also recently begun teaching Cave 2 locally.

I took Cave 1 in FL and am taking Cave 2 there for several reasons, the primary being that's where David Rhea, the Cave Training Director, teaches.

Cave 1 and 2 each take five full days. I'd try to get there a couple days early for each to dive with your new teammates.

Florida caves are far more demanding than Mexican- colder water, deeper,high flow systems.

No, the wreck cert. won't "count", but it should give you a leg up on some skills, like line work.

Cave 1 and Cave 2 are 5 days each. THe NACD or NSS-CDS programs can be done in as little as a week, or via a more extended "stepped" approach. If you are comfortable with the wreck penetration stuff and accustomed to doubles, you shouldhave no problems with one of the accelerated programs.

Tyler Moon, Dave Sweetin, and David Rhea are all great instructors and I highly recommend any of them in FL. Tamara Kendall is also killer, and she is CA based now.

JPBECK:
Ok - First off I am a Ca Diver-
No real caves here- Lots of Wrecks- No caves

Any help would be nice- Please no reccomenations with Instructors that are not DIR... :cheeky:

It's been said over and over but here it is again. Forget the agencies and everything else and look for an instructor that fits. In the end, all that really matter's is that you need to learn the skills and protocols used in cave diving.

I won't touch that whole DIR/not DIR debate other than to say make sure you understand where it comes from and why it is the way it is. A lot of thought went into it and to use it properly, you need to understand the why's.

Mike

I think I have the whys in hand Ive been diving this way for ten years but thanks for your concern.... Has any one heard about Jill and her hubby Paul Heinerth-

If you are looking at Mexico, I will put you in contact with the best available here and I wont even get paid any commission for it.

The caves here are lower flow and very pretty and there is a whole world of exploration to do if that is your thing. My advice is go with an instructor that does it every day of the year, not just on occasional weekends.

JPBECK:
I think I have the whys in hand Ive been diving this way for ten years but thanks for your concern.... Has any one heard about Jill and her hubby Paul Heinerth-

I attempted to take my Cave training from Jill but she was busy. I observed a class and a friend of mine (Florida Cave Diver the first (Bill R.)) took his training from her. My observation was that she was very organized, kind, patient, and Bill, I believe, will confirm that she is a very good instructor.

Everyone speaks very highly of David Rhea, but actually getting into one of his classes becomes a factor, because he has announced that he is cutting back a bit on classes and may not have openings. Go to his website for information--I have never heard a negative thing about him.

For DIR, you have to take DIR-F (fundamentals) before your cave training. Go to the GUE website for information.

I have dived both Mexico and Florida, several times. I took my training in Florida, and I agree with what was said above, Florida caves are deeper, colder, and more difficult, except they may be a bit more forgiving of imperfect bouancy. I believe Florida has a slight edge, but there are certainly some great instructors in Mexico, as mentioned above, both GUE and Non-GUE.

Dave Bell

Campana:
For DIR, you have to take DIR-F (fundamentals) before your cave training.

That's news to me. For GUE training, you need DIR-F. But, based on the original post, he's looking for a DIR Instructor, not necessarily a GUE instructor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom