Nikonos SB 101 Strobe Leakage:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norm

Reaction score
I have an aging Nikonos SB-101 strobe. It still looks great and works wonderfully except.....the battery compartment leaks! I have found no cracks in the battery case and I have thoroughly cleaned the o ring sealing area and I have replaced the o ring tiwce. It only leaks about a tablespoon per dive but this costs me eight AA batteries on every dive and although there is no damage done in freshwater, I am afraid to take it back into saltwater again. Except for this seepage, which started suddenly, it's a great strobe. I'd love to repair it and keep it. Any help or experienced owners out there?
Thanks,
Norm

Hello,

Sounds like it's overhaul time! It could be cracked threads, faulty o-ring, warped housing or something else. Odds are it's the o-ring. I would still send it off for repair. I use underwater photo-tech for my nikonos repairs. http://www.uwphoto.com/

Ed

Thanks for the advice. I have been thinking that perhaps there is a hairline crack either in the housing or especially in the threaded area of the case. It's such a tiny leak that it must be a crack. I have replaced the o ring multiple times, all to no avail. It just started leaking all at once and it has gotten progressively worse, howbeit small amounts.
You are correct - I too, use U/W Phototec. They are nothing but first-class in my book. I have contacted them and they say there are no parts available (whatsoever) for this strobe, but perhaps they can find the leak for me anyway?
Take care and Happy New Year.
Norm

Hello,

OK there's another place on the west coast. They have repair parts for all the nik units. u/w phototec can give you the name/number and I bet they will have it.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom