Roatan question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmcdds

Contributor
Reaction score
My family and I are going on our first trip to Roatan next week. We'll be staying at Anthony's Key. My question, is the water in Roatan safe to drink. I've heard conflicting reports. I've heard some people say that the water at Anthony's is safe, but be careful when not drinking resort water. I've had other people tell me not to drink anything but bottled water. From all of you that have been there, what do you think?

By the way has anyone been there recently? How was the weather and what was the water temp?

Thanks

mmcdds:
My family and I are going on our first trip to Roatan next week. We'll be staying at Anthony's Key. My question, is the water in Roatan safe to drink. I've heard conflicting reports. I've heard some people say that the water at Anthony's is safe, but be careful when not drinking resort water. I've had other people tell me not to drink anything but bottled water. From all of you that have been there, what do you think?

By the way has anyone been there recently? How was the weather and what was the water temp?

Thanks

Drink the water and let us know when (if) you return- or check the search engine here and find out.

General Rule: When travelling outside the US drink bottled water.

In Moscow, which has one of the most perfect water treatment systems, the people that wanted to sell bottled water started rumors of contamination starting bad juju on the waters supply. They sold more bottled water.

At CoCoView, they have supplied 5 gallon bottles of water in your room for many years. The tap water is indeed safe, but a bit brackish (salty). I never slept overnight at AKR, so I'm ignorant of what they provide.

Flor de Cana is an excellent rum, reasonably free of bugs and germs- good for brushing one's teeth. :cheeky:

When you are off of any resort in any Caribbean nation (with very few exceptions) drink the local beer or Coca Cola.

AKR wouldn't be in business if they were making tourists ill. Go, dive, drink, be happy.

was at Anthony"s two weeks ago. Drank the water all week. no problem. Water temps were 79-81 F. Sun, more sun, even more sun. then windy fer a couple days

I've heard from many othes who drink the water at resorts like AKR, CCV, FIBR, etc without problmes, but I didn't risk it. As much time, money, and trouble as it is for me to be there - I want to minimize my risks.

If you don't want to mess with bottled water, do what I do - treat a jug of water with 3-4 drops of Clorox type liquid laundry bleack, shake, wait 30 minutes. Chlorinated water, which is what many US towns still provide. Drink it, brush your teeth with it, make coffee in your room with it. Cannot carry bleach on a plane, though; you can obtain a dropper from a US pharmacy, but you have to buy the bleach there.

Otherwise, anything served to you in AKR dining halls should be fine. However, after rinsing your reg & snorkel, then rinse them with Listermint mouthwash. I know fellow who got Giardia at FIBR, perahps from the rinse tanks.

:bounce:

I always use the bottled water for everything; drinking, brushing teeth, etc. One suggestion I would submit is to use a small vinyl bag to immerse your reg in bottled water to rinse, so that you do not get the "junk" from everyone else's rinsing in the main tank. Just consider haw many people have "vented" into their wetsuits prior to rinsing them in the main tank. With the reg in the bag you can slosh it around and activate the purge to clear anything out of it. Do the same for your secondary. I do this after each dive - it only takes a few minutes. At the end of the dive day splash in a little Listerine, just in case. It also helps with any "funny" smells or tastes. Enjoy your diving.

Hello. I'm in Roatan every Tuesday of every week because I work on the Norwegian Wind. We go to a private beach and I have never had a problem with the water there. The water provided to guests is tap and it doesn't taste strange or make anyone ill. I've also heard too many good things about Anthony's Key Resort to think they would have questionable water. :)

Thanks everyone for your input, I'll let you all know how it went when we get back. Can't wait to get there :)

mmcdds:

Thanks

I went to AKR last year, the food and water was superb, gained 4 lbs. It was the best trip I've had. Great people and memories.

Guys, you all are making me antsy!!! I'm going to Anthony's in May for 2 weeks, of all research diving. I have never dove out of the country before or even at a resort. What should I expect or not expect in terms of things other than diving? Like what's the nite life like?

scubaspider:
Guys, you all are making me antsy!!! I'm going to Anthony's in May for 2 weeks, of all research diving. I have never dove out of the country before or even at a resort. What should I expect or not expect in terms of things other than diving? Like what's the nite life like?

Night life? If you do it right, mostly it's Squid, Octopus, Basket Stars, Cup Coral. Stuff like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom