Chuuk on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I'll be in Chuuk for about a week and I'm looking for some budget accomodations. Any suggestions for cheap motels or even homestays? I'm looking for something between $20-$50 per night. Palau has homestays for really cheap, around $23 per night, but I couldn't find anything on homestays in Chuuk.

Any other suggestions you may have about Chuuk diving, things to do, etc. would greatly be appreciated too.

Hi,
I can not answer your entire question but from a few days on land there, it seems that Chuuk seems has fallen on hard times recently. The CAT team from the U.S. pulled out last year and the night we spent on land at blue lagoon was spent in the dark due to multiple power outages. I was told that the area outside of the compound was not safe. I do not think there is any night life whatsoever to speak of there. Best bet would be one of the liveaboards or maybe Truk Stop or the Blue Lagoon Resort.
Cheers

h3o:
I'll be in Chuuk for about a week and I'm looking for some budget accomodations. Any suggestions for cheap motels or even homestays? I'm looking for something between $20-$50 per night. Palau has homestays for really cheap, around $23 per night, but I couldn't find anything on homestays in Chuuk.

Any other suggestions you may have about Chuuk diving, things to do, etc. would greatly be appreciated too.

I stayed on Weno for the typhoon response last year. Blue lagoon was nice and, assuming safety is an issue, has the added benefit of being in a nice, enclosed area. Can't believe prices are too bad -- certainly worth checking. Added benefit is that there is a dive shop right on the premises.

I stayed on Moen for 2 months diving and the loose dogs were more a problem when out at night than the locals but anything can happen... anywhere. Try the Kurassa Apts., you could get monthly and I believe weekly deals, they were listed in the lonely planet.

Back
Top Bottom