Maldives liveaboard July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pajjpen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey! Im looking to do some diving in july, as this is the only time i got time off work. Other spots around the world are also of interest of course but since this is the maldives thread ill stick to that for now.
Ok so basically ive been looking and was fairly surprised at the prices of the liveaboards in the maldives (thought it was gonna be more expensive) id like to see the big stuff, sharks/mantas/whalesharks etc.
Anybody got a good tip on where in the maldives to go, or if this period isnt suitable for diving there?
Cheers!

Hi.
Let me share with you my experience regarding Maldives. Especially because I'm here since 2006.
Why is the price lower?
Because the low season. May - November on Maldives low season for divers (but high for surfing).
What does it mean low season?
High chance that there will be cloudy, sometimes rainy and windy. Usually really “bad weather” when monsoon change. This usually happens in late May and October. Last year 2014 all summer weather was nice and monsoon changed in early November. One more thing, in the low season main ocean current change and bring a lot of plankton. This means that the visibility in some places can be really bad. But it also means that in such areas could be a lot of manta rays. Example Hanifaru Bay in Baa Atoll, a place where you can watch hundreds of manta rays at one time (if you're lucky).
What you can see underwater in the summer?
Sharks and other big friends all time here, the issue can be visibility. A chance to see manta rays is very high. A chance to see a whale shark 50/50. A unique place in this time Hanifaru Bay.
In summary.
If you do not have other time, but you wish to visit the Maldives, come. Maybe you will see Maldivian rain but it not big problem for diving. We dive all year around.
Good Luck! And if you need more info, ask me.

I have now decided on the maldives Liveaboard, however Im having a hard time chosing between Noth Male, South Male, Rasdhoo, Ari & Raa atolls 11 days/10 nights - 2200 dollar
VS
"The best of maldives" Rasdhoo Atol, North Ari Atoll, South Ari Atoll, South Male Atoll, Vaavu Atoll,North Male Atoll 8 Days/7Nights - 1150 dollars.

Which of these places would you go? Considering price and Manta encounters etc!

Hello.
My point of view:
Option 1150 USD - is good because of low price. Normal standard route.
Option 2200 USD. You have standard route as in options -1150 + North Atolls - Baa (if you go for Raa atoll you 100% will pass through Baa atoll). This means a chance to see manta rays becomes rally big.
I spent one year working in Raa Atoll (Medhupaaru resort). At this time, there are many manta rays and at this time in Baa Atoll manta rays should be a lot.
But what is important - boat. The route can be good but the boat can be terrible. If you wish you can drop me a private message with name of the boat and I can give you advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom