us divers conshelf se2,anyone know [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : us divers conshelf se2,anyone know

Sponsored Link
saintsfan
March 16th, 2004, 11:21 PM
anything about them,I have 2 I acquired from a buddy then bought new mares titanium abyss and thats what I use,just curious what level of quality and how good of a reg they are and i might get them serviced.I also have a sherwood magnum 2 and am wondering if the conshelf or sherwood is the better reg. :overlord:

freedive
March 16th, 2004, 11:54 PM
That's what I'm using for 1st stage and 2nd stage and they are great. The SE2 is a top of the line very rugged regulator. It was classified by the Navy as a Group A Superior regulator in 1987 (attached) and is approved for moderately heavy work to 198-feet. It will most likely be adequate for any demand you will ever make of it. Do a search here on the SE2 and you will very pleased with the results you find.

gaudencio
March 17th, 2004, 08:41 AM
:overlord: Hi,
Yes I am currently using conshelf se2 since 1989+. I am satisfied with it , though sometimes the air supply isn't that good compare with a scubapro g250 my friend is using. I have tried to have it adjusted with a technician to furthur improve the air supply. But the tech said it is in the maximum.
I am really curious about the Mares abyss that I have read in another thread breaking the deepest record. Now I am having thoughts of buying a Mares .

jimmy Tan

saintsfan
March 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM
:overlord: Hi,
Yes I am currently using conshelf se2 since 1989+. I am satisfied with it , though sometimes the air supply isn't that good compare with a scubapro g250 my friend is using. I have tried to have it adjusted with a technician to furthur improve the air supply. But the tech said it is in the maximum.
I am really curious about the Mares abyss that I have read in another thread breaking the deepest record. Now I am having thoughts of buying a Mares .

jimmy Tan

bad to say about it.been to 130' with it and it breathes just as well as at the surface

Tiny Bubbles
March 17th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I have a few SE2's, and like them a lot. They're easy to find parts for and easy to service. You can adjust the IP with a quarter if you don't have the environmental seal kit installed. One thing to check for is cracks in the plastic 2nd stage (especially the yellow ones) around where the hose goes in. I've got 2 yellow SE2s with small cracks in this area. I still dive them. There's a metal bushing inside of there so it's not really as bad as it looks. But you asked if you should get them serviced... If there's no cracks in this area or other obvious problems I'd say go for it. They're good regs.

-tiny-B.

rescuediver009
March 17th, 2004, 09:35 PM
the conshelf is apparently a good performer, however the parts are far fromcheap when time comes to service it.

S C
March 18th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Agree, 3 set of service kits is equal to a new regulator. I had clean mine and put it away for good.

Benthos
March 18th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Very simple reg. A friend of mine used his on a dive boat for a decade with out service and never had a problem with it (not recomended). I dove one for years and loved it. Very smooth breather. I don't have a single complaint about it.

aholsber
March 19th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Saints, the SE2 is a damn fine regulator. they are work horses, you can't really abuse them enough to make 'em fail...as far as the cracks in the second stage housing, this is mostly a cosmetic issue, however with that said, if the cracks are beyond the bushing housing, into the upper or lower body of the reg you can pitch it in the trash it will be wet. most dive shops should be able to find you a working second stage to replace it with.

the sherwood is an excellent reg as well, however it is a piston style reg, and my experience with piston regs is that as your tank gets lower on air, the breathing becomes harder. the SE2 is a balanced diaphragm which allows for fine tuning of the imediate pressure.

i'd hate to know what y'all are paying for repair kits if buying 3 of them you've spent the cost of a new reg.

A.

Tiny Bubbles
March 19th, 2004, 08:52 AM
I've paid anywhere between $5-$20 for a parts kit, and never had any trouble finding them. I'm also putting together a list of aftermarket parts that I'll share with the group...

Mike's Scuba (http://www.mikesscuba.com/store/products.asp?category=regulatorparts):
2nd stage seat: A119 -.272 x .063 $2.00 (fits all conshelfs & clones, AFAIK. It's a little thinner than original, but it works.)
purge/exhaust valve: RP34-CLR-29MM $3.70 (fits the SE2 but not the SE3 or seaquest infinity)

McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/):
5-40 Nylock Nuts: 91831A006 (fits all conshelfs, as far as I know)
M3-.5 Nylock Nuts: 94205A220 (fits seaquest infinity - This 2nd is like a conshelf, but it's all metric)
1/2"-INT Filter Snap Ring: 91580A151 $8.49/10
3/8"-EXT purge-button snap ring: 91590A117 $6.55/10 (for metal conshelf 2nd stages only)
Yoke snap ring: 91590A127 11/16-external $8.93/10 (For yokes held on by a snap ring not a giant nut. The aqualung snap ring is a 20mm INTERNAL ring, doing the job of an external ring. Mcmaster's 20mm-INT ring has the wrong lug shape but 11/16-EXT works.)
Purge Adjustment screw: 92311A193 8-32x.445 SS set screws $8.62/100 (for 2nds with adjustable purge only)

-tiny-B.

robo
August 10th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I've had a se2 for my whole diving career of approx 10 years, using it about 5 dives a year, to depths upt to 100 feet with no problems. I was considering looking for another reg as I'm looking forward to making a few more advanced dives this year, but I'll save the dough.

robo
August 15th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Does anyone know where to get a repair manual for the conshelf se-2, or have an exploded view diagram? Thanks!

rescuediver009
August 15th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Does anyone know where to get a repair manual for the conshelf se-2, or have an exploded view diagram? Thanks!

You shouldn't need one. There are so few parts. It is the easiest reg to service.

garyfotodiver
August 16th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Manuals for the Conshelf XIV are available on eBay. One might help you.

JJ1
August 16th, 2004, 06:28 PM
More of a general conshelf question - how can I tell what model I have?

It's a metal 2nd stage on the purge buttom it says Aqua Lung Conshelf Supreme on the back just udner the mouth piece it's got the folllowing numbers stamped into it - 85 02183

As for the first stage it's just got numbers stamped into the between a lp port and the hp port - 48 12487. It too has an aqualung conshelf supreme sticker on the knob.

I just picked'em up last fall for a few nickles.....

Thanks!

Moogyboy
February 27th, 2005, 08:52 PM
I'm glad I thought to do a search under "conshelf" instead of "se2" (which for some reason kept returning "0 matches found") and found this thread. I'm feeling really really happy right now...just won an SE2 first stage on eBay for $41 plus s/h. I get the feeling I made a good choice to bid on it. :)

cheers

Billy S.

RP Diver
February 27th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I'm glad I thought to do a search under "conshelf" instead of "se2" (which for some reason kept returning "0 matches found") and found this thread. I'm feeling really really happy right now...just won an SE2 first stage on eBay for $41 plus s/h. I get the feeling I made a good choice to bid on it. :)

cheers

Billy S.

I bought mine new in 1989 and it's the only one I've ever needed. Still works like new, with regular servicing. I've been down to 150 feet on air with no problems. It did blow a high pressure seat and free flowed one time, believe it or not in the deep end of the dive shop pool, when I was working an OW class. But I was spending a lot of time in the pool then and it's likely that once a year servicing may not have been enough for those harsh conditions. After that I started using shop regs for pool work.

cjredd
August 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM
First Post to Board.
Just recently got own equipment, no longer renting, great feeling!!
Inherited SE2 1st and 2nd and (21,22,SE2 ?) octo from father in law.
Looking for what really distinguishes one conshelf model from another.
Is there a concise listing where all are compared and contrasted?
All comments I read on Board are very favorable, so how can you tell, is there a real difference?

Is the difference along the lines of GM cars Caddilac, Pontiac, or Chevy? or
Is the difference model year cosmetics/bells & whistles changes?

conshelf newbie and fan!

CJRedd

Creed
August 25th, 2005, 10:13 PM
First Post to Board.
Just recently got own equipment, no longer renting, great feeling!!
Inherited SE2 1st and 2nd and (21,22,SE2 ?) octo from father in law.
Looking for what really distinguishes one conshelf model from another.
Is there a concise listing where all are compared and contrasted?
All comments I read on Board are very favorable, so how can you tell, is there a real difference?

Is the difference along the lines of GM cars Caddilac, Pontiac, or Chevy? or
Is the difference model year cosmetics/bells & whistles changes?

conshelf newbie and fan!

CJRedd

The first stages are almost identical, with varying numbers of hp and lp ports. The 2nds are also alike. They all use the same rebuild kits, and I hear that they all breathe similarly.

Ltstanfo
April 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I know this thread has not been updated in quite a while but I just happened across it and would like to offer the following:

The Conshelf Supreme is an "all environment" version of the Conshelf XIV that has a rubber cap covering the end of the first stage and is filled with liquid silicone. The protects the first stage from everything from ice to really dirty water. If you have a Conshelf Supreme you need to keep an eye on the silicone cap as (over time) the silicone eventually needs refilling.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Loneranger
April 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I still dive a Conshelf 20, 21 and SE2 all are good regs but service may run as much as the actual value of the reg.

Randy43068
August 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM
I've got an SE2 I want to service. Would anyone be kind enough to share a source of parts?

Thank you!

Randy

herman
August 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM
Bryan at Vintage Double Hose has service kits for Conshelfs. Conshelf XIV Service kit [Conshelf XIV Service Kit] - $30.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving (http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_52&products_id=538)

davetowz
August 21st, 2011, 09:50 PM
I got my last set from Northeast Scuba supply.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1