us divers conshelf se2,anyone know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saintsfan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
anything about them,I have 2 I acquired from a buddy then bought new mares titanium abyss and thats what I use,just curious what level of quality and how good of a reg they are and i might get them serviced.I also have a sherwood magnum 2 and am wondering if the conshelf or sherwood is the better reg. :eek:verlord:

That's what I'm using for 1st stage and 2nd stage and they are great. The SE2 is a top of the line very rugged regulator. It was classified by the Navy as a Group A Superior regulator in 1987 (attached) and is approved for moderately heavy work to 198-feet. It will most likely be adequate for any demand you will ever make of it. Do a search here on the SE2 and you will very pleased with the results you find.

:eek:verlord: Hi,
Yes I am currently using conshelf se2 since 1989+. I am satisfied with it , though sometimes the air supply isn't that good compare with a scubapro g250 my friend is using. I have tried to have it adjusted with a technician to furthur improve the air supply. But the tech said it is in the maximum.
I am really curious about the Mares abyss that I have read in another thread breaking the deepest record. Now I am having thoughts of buying a Mares .

jimmy Tan

gaudencio:
:eek:verlord: Hi,
Yes I am currently using conshelf se2 since 1989+. I am satisfied with it , though sometimes the air supply isn't that good compare with a scubapro g250 my friend is using. I have tried to have it adjusted with a technician to furthur improve the air supply. But the tech said it is in the maximum.
I am really curious about the Mares abyss that I have read in another thread breaking the deepest record. Now I am having thoughts of buying a Mares .

jimmy Tan

bad to say about it.been to 130' with it and it breathes just as well as at the surface

I have a few SE2's, and like them a lot. They're easy to find parts for and easy to service. You can adjust the IP with a quarter if you don't have the environmental seal kit installed. One thing to check for is cracks in the plastic 2nd stage (especially the yellow ones) around where the hose goes in. I've got 2 yellow SE2s with small cracks in this area. I still dive them. There's a metal bushing inside of there so it's not really as bad as it looks. But you asked if you should get them serviced... If there's no cracks in this area or other obvious problems I'd say go for it. They're good regs.

-tiny-B.

the conshelf is apparently a good performer, however the parts are far fromcheap when time comes to service it.

Agree, 3 set of service kits is equal to a new regulator. I had clean mine and put it away for good.

Very simple reg. A friend of mine used his on a dive boat for a decade with out service and never had a problem with it (not recomended). I dove one for years and loved it. Very smooth breather. I don't have a single complaint about it.

Saints, the SE2 is a damn fine regulator. they are work horses, you can't really abuse them enough to make 'em fail...as far as the cracks in the second stage housing, this is mostly a cosmetic issue, however with that said, if the cracks are beyond the bushing housing, into the upper or lower body of the reg you can pitch it in the trash it will be wet. most dive shops should be able to find you a working second stage to replace it with.

the sherwood is an excellent reg as well, however it is a piston style reg, and my experience with piston regs is that as your tank gets lower on air, the breathing becomes harder. the SE2 is a balanced diaphragm which allows for fine tuning of the imediate pressure.

i'd hate to know what y'all are paying for repair kits if buying 3 of them you've spent the cost of a new reg.

A.

I've paid anywhere between $5-$20 for a parts kit, and never had any trouble finding them. I'm also putting together a list of aftermarket parts that I'll share with the group...

Mike's Scuba:
2nd stage seat: A119 -.272 x .063 $2.00 (fits all conshelfs & clones, AFAIK. It's a little thinner than original, but it works.)
purge/exhaust valve: RP34-CLR-29MM $3.70 (fits the SE2 but not the SE3 or seaquest infinity)

McMaster-Carr:
5-40 Nylock Nuts: 91831A006 (fits all conshelfs, as far as I know)
M3-.5 Nylock Nuts: 94205A220 (fits seaquest infinity - This 2nd is like a conshelf, but it's all metric)
1/2"-INT Filter Snap Ring: 91580A151 $8.49/10
3/8"-EXT purge-button snap ring: 91590A117 $6.55/10 (for metal conshelf 2nd stages only)
Yoke snap ring: 91590A127 11/16-external $8.93/10 (For yokes held on by a snap ring not a giant nut. The aqualung snap ring is a 20mm INTERNAL ring, doing the job of an external ring. Mcmaster's 20mm-INT ring has the wrong lug shape but 11/16-EXT works.)
Purge Adjustment screw: 92311A193 8-32x.445 SS set screws $8.62/100 (for 2nds with adjustable purge only)

-tiny-B.

Back
Top Bottom