Cincy Area Training Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netmage

Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey - anyone got a spectacular shop near Cincinnati/Dayton you'd care to recommend?

My pops took OW and Nitrox through CDC. OW went good. Nitrox didn't go so good. Anyways, he's looking to retake Nitrox and AOW. Original cert is through NAUI, so I'd prefer a NAUI AOW, but a TDI or PADI Nitrox is ok.

Why does he want to retake nitrox? Is there material he doesn't understand?

Buy me lunch at Gilboa sometime and I'll go over trouble spots and do a dive with him. Then he can decide what he wants to do next.

Hell, Nitrox is one of the easiest classes to teach/learn. If he already has the c-card then some time with a knowledgeable buddy ( or Mike ) would be time well spent instead of money.

MikeFerrara:

I think the instructor rushed the class. In general they didn't have their act together from scheduling it on forward. In my opinion the NAUI book is written at a much higher reading level. I gave him my TDI Nitrox book and it helped clarify things alot.

He completed the test, but they havn't done any dives... I was under the impression NAUI required 2 dives. So I don't know if he has the card.

He's a brand new OW diver, less than 20 dives, most all warm water & needs to get more comfortable with diving. I gave him a gift cert. to get additional training hoping dive time w/ a good instructor would help get him to a solid confidence level.

Aside from certifications...my opinion is the best thing is just more diving. I would also suggest staying shallow so there no real rush for a nitrox card anyway. If we can match schedules I'd be happy to do a dive or two with him. If he wants a nitrox class I can sell him one but if increased comfort is the goal, he needs diving to practice the basics more anything else.

If he passed the test already the shortest rout to a card would be to finish with the same instructor or at least one who can credit his test. I'm an IANTD instructor so I can't...not easily anyway.

Let me know if you think there's something I can do.

MikeFerrara:
This isn;t the first time I've heard of CDC rushing stuff as far as classes are concerned. My old roomate got her initial OW cert through them 10 years ago, but when we went back 3 summers ago, she was a little miffed at the attitude of the guy behind the counter. I think biscuit7 has taken a few classes with CDC recently? Maybe she can chime in here.

Personally with CDC, I can remember the time I was inquiring about EANx fills over the phone....the gentleman on the other end was willing to fill 6 tanks for me and just hand 'em over without a cert, or me verifying the mix.

-T

Big-t-2538:
This isn;t the first time I've heard of CDC rushing stuff as far as classes are concerned. My old roomate got her initial OW cert through them 10 years ago, but when we went back 3 summers ago, she was a little miffed at the attitude of the guy behind the counter. I think biscuit7 has taken a few classes with CDC recently? Maybe she can chime in here.

Personally with CDC, I can remember the time I was inquiring about EANx fills over the phone....the gentleman on the other end was willing to fill 6 tanks for me and just hand 'em over without a cert, or me verifying the mix.

-T

After all the time I've been doing this I don't know of any shop that I would recommend for training.

I would like to have someplace to refer people because I turn away more than I teach. This year I'll only teach one or two OW classes and I would like to have someplace to refer the others that ask.

I don't recall Biscuit7 taking classes with CDC but rather Central Coast Dive center in Northern Kentucky....actually just a few miles from house. I have taken a class there and actually stop by the shop fairly frequently to chat and just see whats new. I have been pretty impressed with what I have recieved there. I have also taken classes with Planet Ocean in Batavia. I have been very satisfied with the education I recieved there as well. Truthfully I have a very hard time deciding between the two shops for any classes because I really like the instructors at both. I don't know about Planet Ocean but I am fairly sure that Central Coast has atleast one person who is a Naui instructor. Of course I may be wrong on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom