7 days without a smoke and feeling pretty dope

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AngloFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Never thought I'd be able to say that. Worst mistake of my teenage years but I think I've finally managed to say goodbye.
After my spouse went 4 weeks after switching to an e-cig I decided to give it a try. I ended up smoking for a few weeks after getting it. It took a little to dial things in but once I got it right boy did it make a difference.
Last saturday I finished my last pack.
The ecig is just about the only thing that takes care of the ritual part of the addiction as well as the deeply satisfying inhale that is probably the worst part to quite (the part that goes so well with coffee/drinks).
So far I've gone from a little over a pack a day to vaping the ecig with coffee in the morning and after meals with a few sessions throughout the day and evening. It's really made this whole process a breeze.

I quit about 5-6 times before it became final. I think the biggest thing was changing my mindset from, "I'm quitting smoking" to "I don't smoke anymore" It's a sneaky habit that will sneak back into your life after a few beers. The longest I "quit" was over a year. I stopped smoking over 20 years ago. Hang in there and stop smoking, if you start smoking again, stop smoking.

I quit with chantix..they say that you can smoke for the first week, but I stopped cold after 2 days...just didn't want to smoke anymore.

I was lucky I just put them down. Had to have the right outlook to do it. I tried the patch 21mg and it was too strong, I went to the 14mg.s and again to strong. so I went to the 7's and by then I got tired of patches and decided I really did not need them.. 4 days of fighting nicotine overload from patches and it was over. the first 3 days was the hardest with the what to do with the hands thing. after that I just counted days since the last smoke. I get to 5 days and want one and I say no because to do so would waste the last 5 days by having to start counting over again. That was n the spring on 97, I still have a pack in my tool box for a reminder. A month after I quit,,,, I bought a new car as a reward and have never lit up again. The best part of it all is that I did not turn into a reborn nonsmoker. After all I quit for my health not others. I ask smokers to do so down wind where I don't get the full cloud. To be honest the reborn and nonsmokers nagging is worse than the smokers. For the most part I can get away from the smoke.

10 days as of today.
Have already noticed much improved breathing. Never noticed the impact while smoking as I'm pretty active but it becomes pretty clear after just a few days.
Not smoking in the new car was a nice motivator, car still smells new and not like an ashtray.
I don't smell like an ashtray.
Teeth are noticeably whiter.
Really starting to regain sense of taste.

Stick with it. I noticed improved performance months after I switched to vaping. But some things were immediately apparent.

Try swimming. The difference between recent smoker or even occasional (bum one with a beer occasionally) smoker verses a genuinely a non-smoker was a difference I could feel immediately when I was swimming laps. This noticable difference helped me to stop cheating and really and truely leave cigarettes behind forever.

Thanks all for the encouraging words and to all of you posting your quitting stories!
I've personally tried several times in the past. I once made it almost 24hrs but would always find myself cheating (I've been good, just one can't hurt). Once you cheat it's over, then to managed the willpower to try again immediately is next to impossible.
Right now my only serious craving is in the morning when I'm about to enjoy that first cup of coffee but having the ecig completely kills it. I've noticed a pretty big reduction on how often I need to use it as well already.
Both of us had a moment of shock last night, we were catching up on the Walking Dead and then an episode of The Amearicans. We realized after I had not reached for the ecig once during back to back hour long shows.

Keep focusing on each positive you find and you will have no worries. Dont let your apparent recovery after a month fool you. It will take a while, perhaps 6 months or more for the body and mind to remove it from its behavior set. After a while you will find out just what you used smokes for as a crutch for stress ect. After that you will master your cravings and not the other way around. I was surprised to find that when i took my life back so to speek, i could use it for so many other things that i couldnt do before. Dont be surprised if you start having weight gain, smokes are an appatite supressant. After a ehile you will probabkly want to get the vehicles professionally cleaned and s well as your furnature.

Keep the updates coming.

10 days as of today.
Have already noticed much improved breathing. Never noticed the impact while smoking as I'm pretty active but it becomes pretty clear after just a few days.
Not smoking in the new car was a nice motivator, car still smells new and not like an ashtray.
I don't smell like an ashtray.
Teeth are noticeably whiter.
Really starting to regain sense of taste.

I could not stand smoking, both parents smoked a lot, until I went into the Corps. I put them down after my first daughter was borned. Picked them back up while in school. I found myself hiding my habit from my family, daughters and some of my dive buddies. We were at the New Year dive at Ginnie, I looked around at my fellow cavers, put my cig. out and never looked back. It is hard, damn hard! But I could no longer live a life of hiding moreso considering that I went into the Respiratory Care field. Hang in there, it gets better with time.

Back
Top Bottom