Philippines in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sams

New
Reaction score
I may spend a few weeks diving in asia in mid May, my plan was to dive with two or three centres in the Philippines. I was thinking of Dumaguete, Alona Bohol and moalboal primarily but would welcome information or other suggestions. I would also appreciate if anyone can recommend dive centres and or provide some pricing info on the cost of diving/accommodation.

thanks

Anilao is becoming more and more beautiful as the sanctuaries are giving nature a chance to regrow. Very fishy and even a 100 strong school of cudas can be seen near Mahinit. Less hassle than going to Bohol or Dumaguete. Of course the diving at both those places and Apo Reef are also very nice.
I've used Planet Dive and Club Ocellaris among others in Anilao. The fanciest is the Eagle Point which keeps black tip reef sharks in their enclosure "pool" and thus I boycott the place. May is the best time for sea conditions in Anilao, which is flat. Most dive sites are within 45 mins of any of the resorts.

Dumaguete is really great! You should definetly give it a try! You can do some day trips to Cebu and Apo Island among others... It offers excellent diving! Perfect conditions. Nice drop offs, some wrecks, but you have to ask for them I think. Beautiful coral gardens. Much more to see.
There are several diving centers over there. There's Rose Garden. That's where I was with a group. It's not very luxureous, but it's still a very nice place! There's also Atlantis something... that's a bit more expensive, but it offers great accommodation. And there's a 3rd one. El Dorado resort. It has a great house reef!!
And besides diving there are lots of other things to do in the Dumaguete area.
Hope you're gonna give it a try. :wink: good luck with your choice, and happy diving.

Ramón.

If you'll be in the country, you shouldn't miss the best dive site in the Philippines (sharks, turtles, manta encounter, dolphins, 100 ft. vis., etc.). Accessible only by live-aboard from Feb to June, there's a trip sched from May 16-21.

Let me know if you need more details.

Safe diving!

Vyper:
If you'll be in the country, you shouldn't miss the best dive site in the Philippines (sharks, turtles, manta encounter, dolphins, 100 ft. vis., etc.). Accessible only by live-aboard from Feb to June, there's a trip sched from May 16-21.

Let me know if you need more details.

Safe diving!

You might want to check out Coron Island and Sangat Island preserve. Great wreck diving!!!!!!!!!!!

hey SAMS, I totally agree with overexposed2x and vyper. The places they both mentioned...Tubbataha and Coron are in Palawan. I'm not saying Dumaguete is not nice...they're all excellent dive spots. Even Anilao in Batangas as mentioned by scubashooter is like the mecca of Luzon island diving.

If you need info just post or email me and I'll try to give you the details you want for the dive sites you want to go to.

Yes, Sams, I'd definitely head for Tubbataha if you can. The only way to dive it is to do a liveaboard. For a brand new boat and lots of TLC, try the Talusi: http://www.palawan-yacht-charter.com/welcome.html

They charge $700 for 4 days/5 mights. The same organization runs a dive op at Coco Loco Resort near Roxas in Palawan. They can arrange to pick you up from Puerto Princesa. I was just there and did six dives. The reefs were great, and the prices can't be beat! It cost me $15-20 per dive, which included tanks and air. Coco Loco is on a little island fringed with a white sandy beach. Lots of palm trees. Cute little Nipa Huts with bathrooms for less than $20 a night. Excellent food at their restaurant.

I got a lot of personalized attention from the dive op, which is run by Europeans. I felt like they really went out of their way to see that I had a good experience. I'll definitely be back--and I'm planning on doing Tubbataha next year.

I haven't been diving at Coron yet, but I've been there and I hear the wreck diving can't be beat. A whole fleet of Japanese ships went down there during WWII. The town isn't much, but there are several dive ops.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Hi sams,

Just got back from Malapascua Island and Moalboal in Cebu. If you want stellar diving with two great dive shops, Bubble07 in Malapascua and Blue Abyss in Moalboal, do your diving at these great locations!!! I would probably write an entire novel about my experiences, so if you'd like more info, let me know. Accomodations range between $8-$10 US per day and dives are about $20-$25 per dive including rental.

FYI--Thresher Sharks in Malapascua!!

Mel

i'm going to be heading to Cebu in mid June any recommendations on what the conditions will be like and who to book with? I get seasick so long or rough boat rides are a limitation for me, but shore dives are a plus!!

You may have seen this in an other thread, but I found www.pandan.com/index.html to be excellent. Many of their houses reefs are available from the shore. If not, it's usaully a short (five minute boat ride). They organise trips to Apo reef too.

Back
Top Bottom