Big Island - Place of Refuge and Elevation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladycute1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone -- I thought I had seen this issue discussed before, but I have not been able to find it through the search.

I'm planning a trip to Kona, and definitely want to dive Honaunau -- (Place of Refuge) -- and I know I have done it before, but I've been thinking about the dive back over the hill into Kona... I've checked and I understand that the elevation along the road through Captain Cook is about 1500'. I spoke to some dive operators on the Big Island who told me that PADI and DAN say that 'elevation' is anything over 2000' My recollection is that the guideline is 1000' --

Anyway, I'm confused, as I said, I know I have done that dive and driven over the hill... Have I just been 'lucky' with regard to dci? (And, yes, I know there is never any guarentee.... but, I'm trying to understand the magnitude of the risk in this situation.)

Anybody offer any insight?

Guidelines are purposely vague, nobody wants to take the blame for a hit on the slight chance one occurs. Last guidelines I saw said you could go to 2000' without waiting, but you never know. If people were automatically getting hit at 2000' then we'd have a couple dozen people a day getting bent after diving at the Place of Refuge.

My recommendation is to dive conservative, keep hydrated and take a walk through the park if you've dove a couple of dives. No need to hurry home.

Have fun,

Steve

ladycute1:
Hi everyone -- I thought I had seen this issue discussed before, but I have not been able to find it through the search.

I'm planning a trip to Kona, and definitely want to dive Honaunau -- (Place of Refuge) -- and I know I have done it before, but I've been thinking about the dive back over the hill into Kona... I've checked and I understand that the elevation along the road through Captain Cook is about 1500'. I spoke to some dive operators on the Big Island who told me that PADI and DAN say that 'elevation' is anything over 2000' My recollection is that the guideline is 1000' --

Anyway, I'm confused, as I said, I know I have done that dive and driven over the hill... Have I just been 'lucky' with regard to dci? (And, yes, I know there is never any guarentee.... but, I'm trying to understand the magnitude of the risk in this situation.)

Anybody offer any insight?

Steve's (friscuba's) advice is good - especially the advice about staying well hydrated! We dive at
Place of Refuge quite often, and if you stay well within the no-stop limits, stay hydrated, and aren't
in a hurry to get back to Kona you should be fine.

Place of Refuge is a great dive site -- lots to see there. Oh, did I mention that you should stay well
hydrated? :water:

Best -

gkn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom