Horrible sore on lip after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve from NZ

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on an affliction I sometimes get after a dive. Immediately after getting out of the water, I feel an itchy rash on my upper lip (always in exactly the same spot), which soon progresses to a cold-sore like mess - oozing fluid, and forming a scag over night. It has happened 3-4 times, usually around this time of year, and in different locations around NZ. It hangs round for up to a week. My thoughts are a cold sore like virus bought on by pressure?

Thanks

Steve

probably a cold sore brought on by exposure to the sun.

Cold Sores - Symptoms
The first symptom that may appear during an outbreak of cold sores may include tingling, burning, or itching in the area around the mouth or nose. This first portion of the outbreak is known as the prodromal stage or period. Within a few hours to days, the area may become reddened and develop small fluid-filled blisters. Several of these small blisters may even come together and form one large blister.

Causes
Cold sores are caused by the virus known as herpes simplex type I (HSV-1). After the first episode of the disease, the virus lies dormant in the nerves or skin around the original area until something sets the virus off into another eruption. Colds, flu, and even stress can cause you to have an outbreak of cold sores. Why you have an outbreak at one time of life and not another is not clearly understood.
Note: HSV-1 is different from herpes simplex type II (HSV-2), which is the virus that causes the sexually transmitted disease known as genital herpes. HSV-1 is a very common virus. It is thought that 90% of adults have been exposed to the virus during their lifetime.

wow, I didn't know that...
the virus lies dormant in the nerves or skin around the original area
I've had a lot of students (and new staff) exhibit the 'ol sore lip syndrome, and it was usually curbed with sunblock chapstick and proper hydration. Even I get it occasionally, and it IS in the same spot most of the time.

Oh great, now I have herpes... super.

sunblock chapstick before and after every dive helps a lot. A combination of the sun, physical exertion and "stress" of diving means lots of divers get cold sores. BTW, did you know that chicken pox is closely related to herpes as well? I guess I got the bug when I was about 6 years old :D

Zippsy:
sunblock chapstick before and after every dive helps a lot. A combination of the sun, physical exertion and "stress" of diving means lots of divers get cold sores. BTW, did you know that chicken pox is closely related to herpes as well? I guess I got the bug when I was about 6 years old :D

Remind me never to borrow a reg of you guys - Yuck!!

My reg makes bubbles. You don't so I doubt you'll want it anyway. BTW, is it the chapstick left behind on the reg or the cold sore germs that gross you out?

Hmmm... herpes => related to chicken pox => related to smallpox => biological weapon of mass destruction!

Wait 'til the TSA hear about that - they'll be shooting divers on sight at check-in =8^O

K.

Thanks folks, I reckon the cold sore theory is probably correct. The confounding variable for me was it happens at approximately the same time of year (the end of our summer), and immediately after a dive.

Cheers

Steve

Alternate "nutso" theory...there is a jellyfish in your mask...remove the jellyfish and the problem should resolve...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom