Can dive gear be rented in Male for use on liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChaosReid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are looking at a trip in Feb/March 2016, but the boat agent didn't seem too eager to rent equipment ("it's not the newest"). One of us is going on to other adventures and wouldn't want to bring gear even if he had it. Can anyone speak to whether there are dive shops in Male that will rent packages to people going on liveaboard trips? Thanks!

I found nothing on Male when I was there in 2011, and see nothing now having just looked again.

Frankly, I'd think twice about any liveaboard that was so uncertain about its dive gear. At the very least, taking a CO detector might be prudent.

I rented gear through my liveaboard (a few years ago), but found out they actually just went through a shop on Male. That said, compared to the ~dozen+ other times I've rented elsewhere, the BCD was very basic (not many pockets/D-rings) though sufficient. I did see a small shop or two on neighboring Hulhumale where I stayed (much less crowded than Male) which I think rented gear, and taking a quick look, there are a few google hits now.

It would probably be much more convenient to go through the boat if they offer it, as that way you don't need to make a trip to the shop for pickup/return, plus they'll presumably take some responsibility if any gear issues arise (though any good crew should help you if there's an issue either way).

Back
Top Bottom